• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
treetrunker

Collaboration

This topic is 2559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everybody.

I had a question about how best to collaborate with a friend of mine while coding a game in C++.

Currently he's using xcode, because he's on a mac, and i get to choose between Visual studio, which i have for my PC, and code:blocks. Would our code be compatible? I know that different compilers have slightly different language specifications. Currently we're planning on using OpenGl as well, but this may change.

I'm thinking we'll either just import the source code to each other directly into header files, or create libraries in order to share code. Which would work best, and what would work with our setup?

Thanks guys!

Treetrunker

Advertisement
Sharing C++ libs is by sure a no-go. Perhaps the two IDE use the same compiler internally but in general, C++ libraries built by compiler X will work only on compiler X.
C libraries by contrast can be shared, as long as they are built for same OS/CPU.
Code won't hopefully be a problem. I strongly suggest to look at some versioning system such as Mercurial.
OpenGL can be a problem... but I'm not up to date with it. Unfortunately, you really have no choice with multi-platform development. It's either GL or wrappers on top of it.

+1 to the use of a VCS. I would add that you can solve your issues if you will use a cross-platform software construction tool, like CMake or SCons, so you can be independent of the various IDEs, and anyone can work how (s)he prefer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!