• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alessandro

C++ vector: removing duplicates

This topic is 2493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, removing duplicates works fine with a simple vector int:

std::vector<int> vec;
std::sort(vec.begin(), vec.end());
vec.erase(std::unique(vec.begin(), vec.end()), vec.end());

But I am not able to figure out how to do the same when you have a vector pointing to a structure, like this:

std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib> vec;

typedef struct {
int ID;
float X;
float Y;
float Z;
} myObjectLib;

I get several compilation errors like this:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_heap.h:216:0 /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_heap.h:216: error: no match for 'operator<' in '__first. __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator+ [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >](((const ptrdiff_t&)((const ptrdiff_t*)(& __secondChild)))).__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator* [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >]() < __first. __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator+ [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >](((const ptrdiff_t&)((const ptrdiff_t*)(&(__secondChild - 1l))))).__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator* [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >]()'

Advertisement

Hi, removing duplicates works fine with a simple vector int:

std::vector<int> vec;

But I am not able to figure out how to do the same when you have a vector pointing to a structure, like this:

std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib> vec;

typedef struct {
int ID;
float X;
float Y;
float Z;
} myObjectLib;

I get several compilation errors like this:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_heap.h:216:0 /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_heap.h:216: error: no match for 'operator<' in '__first. __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator+ [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >](((const ptrdiff_t&)((const ptrdiff_t*)(& __secondChild)))).__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator* [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >]() < __first. __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator+ [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >](((const ptrdiff_t&)((const ptrdiff_t*)(&(__secondChild - 1l))))).__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator* [with _Iterator = myObjects::myObjectLib*, _Container = std::vector<myObjects::myObjectLib, std::allocator<myObjects::myObjectLib> >]()'

You need to specifiy a way to sort your objects.

try:

bool customCompare(myObject::myObjectLib obj1, myObject::myObjectLib obj2) {
return obj1.ID<obj2.ID;
}

std::sort(vec.begin(), vec.end(),customCompare);

If you want the sorting to work differently you can change the comparison function.

std::sort() requires that operator< be defined your type or that you pass it a comparison function. std::unique() likewise requires that operator== be defined your type or that you pass it a comparison function. One admissible set of functions would be:

bool operator<(const myObjectLib & lhs, const myObjectLib & rhs) {
if (lhs.ID < rhs.ID) return true;
if (lhs.ID > rhs.ID) return false;
if (lhs.X < rhs.X) return true;
if (lhs.X > rhs.X) return false;
if (lhs.Y < rhs.Y) return true;
if (lhs.Y > rhs.Y) return false;
return lhs.Z < rhs.Z;
}

bool operator==(const myObjectLib & lhs, const myObjectLib & rhs) {
return (lhs.ID == rhs.ID) && (lhs.X == rhs.X) && (lhs.Y == rhs.Y) && (lhs.Z == rhs.Z);
}

However, given that your structure contains floating point variables this may or may not do what you want or expect.

[size="5"]EDIT: no, that doesn't work, I tried with a larger number of items and duplicates are still there. I suppose I did something wrong... :angry:

Thanks for your suggestions, that worked just fine:

bool customCompare(myObjects::myObjectLib obj1, myObjects::myObjectLib obj2){
if (obj1.X==obj2.X && obj1.Y==obj2.Y && obj1.Z==obj2.Z) return true; //I just need to compare X,Y,Z
else return false;
}

bool operator==(const myObjects::myObjectLib & lhs, const myObjects::myObjectLib & rhs) {
return (lhs.X == rhs.X) && (lhs.Y == rhs.Y) && (lhs.Z == rhs.Z);
}

In the main() I call:

std::sort(myObject.begin(), myObject.end(),customCompare);
myObject.erase(std::unique(myObject.begin(), myObject.end()), myObject.end());

When I debug the output, the duplicates are indeed removed.

What I don't get is: do I need to iterate from 0 to vector.size()-1 and run the functions:
std::sort(myObject.begin(), myObject.end(),customCompare);
myObject.erase(std::unique(myObject.begin(), myObject.end()), myObject.end());Or I just need to call those once?

Your sort comparison function isn't a strict weak ordering. One of the properties that std::sort() expects from a comparison function is that if comp(a, b) then !comp(b, a). Your function doesn't satisfy this condition. Take a look at the operator< function that I posted.

Ok, I see the point but the customCompare function just calls the == operator to check if:

obj1.X==obj2.X && obj1.Y==obj2.Y && obj1.Z==obj2.Z

How do I go from there to using the < operator ?

Ok, now it works: I misunderstood the usage of the customCompare function. Sicrane wrote "std::unique() likewise requires that operator== be defined your type or that you pass it a comparison function". I was using, wrongly, both the ==operator and a customCompare function (in the std::sort call) at the same time.

So the final code is:

bool operator<(const myObjects::myObjectLib & lhs, const myObjects::myObjectLib & rhs) {
if (lhs.X < rhs.X) return true;
if (lhs.X > rhs.X) return false;
if (lhs.Y < rhs.Y) return true;
if (lhs.Y > rhs.Y) return false;
return lhs.Z < rhs.Z;
}

bool operator==(const myObjects::myObjectLib & lhs, const myObjects::myObjectLib & rhs) {
return (lhs.X == rhs.X) && (lhs.Y == rhs.Y) && (lhs.Z == rhs.Z);
}

std::sort(myObject.begin(), myObject.end());
myObject.erase(std::unique(myObject.begin(), myObject.end()), myObject.end());

Thanks again for your patience and kindness.

Is that code really doing what you want it to though? Doing exact comparrison on floats is problematic in all situations except when you know you've directly assigned floatA = floatB. (and even then there are issues). If you want to erase objects that are really close together, there are more efficient and more stable ways of doing so.
If your program is duplicating objects and then later trying to determine which are duplicates, you might want to look into storing pointers and/or reference counting instead.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!