• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[answered] multiplayer xna games?

This topic is 2248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there any examples of games written in xna that are multiplayer?

I don't want xbox examples, because I won't be writing or publishing xbox games, but I would be interested in playable windows PC examples, please.

I am interested in published games, demos, tutorials, source code, etc. - anything that can show me how these games look and how they operate.

Kind regards,

Tom

Advertisement
Unless you want to use LIVE, which I assume you are not since you aren't targeting the 360, networking will be identical to any other C# application, so you don't necessarily need to look at XNA examples.

Of the top of my head I can only think of Terraria, which uses XNA and has multiplayer support, but I'm sure there's quite a few more.
If you want to use UDP I can recommend "lidgren-network" http://code.google.com/p/lidgren-network-gen3/ which I have used with XNA before.

Unless you want to use LIVE, which I assume you are not since you aren't targeting the 360, networking will be identical to any other C# application, so you don't necessarily need to look at XNA examples.

Of the top of my head I can only think of Terraria, which uses XNA and has multiplayer support, but I'm sure there's quite a few more.
If you want to use UDP I can recommend "lidgren-network" http://code.google.c...n-network-gen3/ which I have used with XNA before.

Yeah...I don't want to use LIVE (I take it that LIVE is only available for the xBox 360...PC games written with XNA can't use LIVE?).

I'll check-out Terraria, thx.

So, given that my choices are UDP / TCP-IP etc. --- are there wrappers or 3rd party components that can make the talking back and forth between two players easier?

For example...are there xna code snippets or tutorials that show how two xna games can talk to each other....both real time chat (so you can trash talk, etc.) as well as internal communications that the players do not see (like game board updates).

I am also interested in hosting a site where people who are available to play a game can see other players who are waiting to play and join a game.

[quote name='Hyunkel' timestamp='1324166454' post='4894903']

If you want to use UDP I can recommend "lidgren-network" http://code.google.c...n-network-gen3/ which I have used with XNA before.

Yeah...I don't want to use LIVE (I take it that LIVE is only available for the xBox 360...PC games written with XNA can't use LIVE?).

I'll check-out Terraria, thx.

So, given that my choices are UDP / TCP-IP etc. --- are there wrappers or 3rd party components that can make the talking back and forth between two players easier?

For example...are there xna code snippets or tutorials that show how two xna games can talk to each other....both real time chat (so you can trash talk, etc.) as well as internal communications that the players do not see (like game board updates).

I am also interested in hosting a site where people who are available to play a game can see other players who are waiting to play and join a game.
[/quote]
PC Games written with XNA can use LIVE but most won't for obvious reasons (starting with the fact that it requires players to have a LIVE account and ending with that you must become authorized to do so).

Look at any general network example, that's what you really need. XNA specific bits are negligible.

xna chat and multiplayer

For clarity, the above link gives the essentials of what I am looking for.

So...yes it is possible....just looking for source code at this point.

Thank you for the posts and guidance so far! I really appreciate all the help!

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement