• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KellerHood

Unity Unity on the Wii with devkitPro?

This topic is 2348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a Wii, I have Unity, and I have devkitPro. I've successfully managed to get devkitPro to output some .dol's and have them run on the Wii through an SD card. I read on the Unity website, and I quote,

Click To Publish
Ready to run your game on your devkit? It couldn't be easier. Build it with one click. Run it with another. That's all! Build supervisor not required.

Requirements
In order to evaluate or license our engine for use on the Wii console developers must meet the following requirements:

• You must own Unity Pro 2.x
  • You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit
    [/quote]

Now, that being said, is it in any way possible to get Unity to use devkitPro to build the files instead of the official devkit? I don't plan at all to sell them, but more to just see the games I make play on a Wii for sh**s and giggles.

Is this possible? If so, how?
    If not, am I completely hopeless in seeing a creation of mine run on a Wii?

Advertisement
I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.

[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way. :)

And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.

Yes I've seen those. The problem with that is that there is little to no documentation, tutorials, or anything of the like.

[quote name='Relfos' timestamp='1324292955' post='4895252']
[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way. :)
[/quote]

Well that sucks. Oh well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Armaan Gupta
      Hey There,
      I am a developer and Im working on a blockchain based infinite runner type game. Right now, I am working on releasing the beta version with a couple other game developers, but would love to expand the team and have other talented and bright people contributing. The game portion of the project isnt very complicated, and wouldnt require anyone to pull thier hair out for it.
      If you are interested in joining a project, interested in the idea, or would like some more information, please don't hesitate to ask either by commenting, discord (username: Guppy#7625), or by email (armaangupta01@gmail.com).
      Thank you!
    • By Joydeep Mani
      I am trying to build a particle system for unity based on "Destiny particle architecture " released in Siggraph.
      I encounter a problem in trying to understand how they iterated this:

Converted to spline function and the result is

i wanted to know how did they converted the function in the editor to represent the graph ??

• By Xerath Dragons
      This is my first experiment use for create my original character little cute dragon chibi use zbrush and blender and use unity3d assest free for enviroment scene you have feedback?

• By Aryndon
      Project Redemption is an semi-fantasy RPG with a linear story and an elaborate combat system.
      We are building in Unity and are currently looking animators and artists.
      What we are looking for
      -Someone who is okay with split revenue/profits when finished
      -Collaborate with others in the team. Do you have an idea/thought on what should be included? Tell us!
      -Someone who wants to work with people that are passionate about this project
      If you are interested. Please message me and I will get back to you as soon as possible! Or add me on Discord AJ#6664
    • By Aggrojag
      Hello!
      I'm working on a game that is a narrative driven dark comedy with some small aspects of platforming and puzzle solving. The project is rather small as well. It touches on topics such as suicide, mental illness, family, corruption, free-will, and redemption.
      This project is exercise in polish, this means some experimentation will be needed along with some reworking of assets as they're provided.
      This will be a revshare model.
      First, I'm looking for a 2D sprite artist, not pixelated, that can compliment the style of the attached images, and be similar to the temporary character.
      We are looking to bring on a SFX designer at this time. Full list of required SFX will be available upon request, as well as a build with all elements related to sound implemented in some form (many SFXs pulled from the web for now). Will likely require some field recording, and some pretty strange SFX for when things get weird. I imagine a good portion of these will be quite fun to create.
      Lastly, I'm looking for a male voice actor, English should be your primary language. There will be at minimum two characters that will need to be brought to life through vocals. The first voice is similar to Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A reference for the second voice would be a mix of Ren (Ren & Stimpy), and Android 21 (DragonBallFighterZ). Due to formatting, I'm not including YouTube links in the post, sorry.

WIP Scene with our custom shaders attached (platforms are lazily placed, as this was an asset test):

A scene with dynamic lighting and temp character:

Unshaded asset:

If you made it to the bottom, thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!