• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KellerHood

Unity Unity on the Wii with devkitPro?

This topic is 2494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a Wii, I have Unity, and I have devkitPro. I've successfully managed to get devkitPro to output some .dol's and have them run on the Wii through an SD card. I read on the Unity website, and I quote,

Click To Publish
Ready to run your game on your devkit? It couldn't be easier. Build it with one click. Run it with another. That's all! Build supervisor not required.

Requirements
In order to evaluate or license our engine for use on the Wii console developers must meet the following requirements:

• You must own Unity Pro 2.x
  • You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit
    [/quote]

Now, that being said, is it in any way possible to get Unity to use devkitPro to build the files instead of the official devkit? I don't plan at all to sell them, but more to just see the games I make play on a Wii for sh**s and giggles.

Is this possible? If so, how?
    If not, am I completely hopeless in seeing a creation of mine run on a Wii?

Advertisement
I don't think the "normal" Unity allows to create Wii builds.
And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.

[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way. :)

And since their requirments are "You must be a an Authorized Developer for the Wii console and obtain a Wii development kit", so I don't think you can get a version that can do it..
And even if you could, there's a very high probably of it not being compatible with devkitPro.
If you really want to make games for Wii, you'll have to use devkitPro and write C code, search in the net, I think I've seen some free graphic engines for the Wii before, made from someone in the homebrew community.

Yes I've seen those. The problem with that is that there is little to no documentation, tutorials, or anything of the like.

[quote name='Relfos' timestamp='1324292955' post='4895252']
[--snip--]

Indeed it does not allow that. To use Unity for Wii you'll need a separate build that you can only acquire once you've shown proof that you are a legit authorized developer. In other words: there is no way to use Unity for Wii without actually doing it the 'normal' way. :)
[/quote]

Well that sucks. Oh well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!