• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

help in choosing programing language and game engine

This topic is 2251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello
me and my friends want to make a 3d mmorpg game we want to become make high level games and not casual ones. i know preety good c# and c++ and i wanted to know which one i should use i searched posts in the forum for hours and i didnt really found an answer i want to become a pro so even if ill have to learn more i rather choose the language with more potential to be better in the end. i am thinking of using cryengine 3 but i am not really sure so if you can tell me whats best for my use it will be nice.
yours,
ben.

Advertisement
Yes, you may think this question has never come up due to it being all unique and awesome, but it has, a couple of times. Or 40.

i want to become a pro so even if ill have to learn more i rather choose the language with more potential to be better in the end.
Pro's can learn a new language / SDK / API / engine in a week, so if you want to be a pro, then you should learn as many different things as you can to practice your learning potential tongue.gif

I have a few comments I hope will help you (and others) out.

When you are learning a language, you should keep in mind that the language itself is nothing more than grammar and syntax; the *ideas* are independent.

To illustrate this point, I will use the idea of classes from object oriented programming (OOP). If you know C++, you are obviously familiar with OOP and classes. Java (as just ONE example) also uses classes. For the most part, the idea behind classes/OOP remains the same between C++ and Java; the real difference is the different grammar and syntax that Java is made of.

When you are learning a language, you should be careful to separate the ideas from the language to make learning future languages easier.

Assuming you have no prior game development experience, I would recommend starting with something like Allegro or SDL using C++ since you are familiar with C++. XNA is a choice if you would prefer to stick to C#.

Make a 2D game and start simple; no RPGs or whatnot. Arcade game or simple platformer would be great choices.

By using something like Allegro or SDL, you are still getting reasonably knee deep in the actual development of your game but still gain the benefits of using a library (I prefer the term library over game engine).

I personally found Allegro the easiest to learn so I would really recommend starting with Allegro.

Once you make a game or two and feel reasonably versed in Allegro, you might try giving SDL a shot and write another game. SDL is a little more powerful but has a tougher learning curve in my opinion which makes it a great next step for you.

By the time you've written a *complete* (<-- emphasis) game or two using both Allegro and SDL, you should be more than experienced enough in general game programming concepts and other such stuff and be well prepared to embark on a more advanced library, write directly in OpenGL/DirectX, or even start on a 3D game.

Of course, this won't make you an expert on dynamic lighting, 3D rendering, or any such thing and it certainly won't be as impressive to show off to your friends than a 3D game would be... but you would learn a lot more and stand a much higher chance of succeeding.

As I usually hear here and there, start tough. I started with C++ instead of Java or C#... This way I would feel confortable when trying to learn C#, If I had gone to C# first I guess I'd get frustrated trying to go through cpp...
But it's still really personal! Some programmers still take their favorite languages kinda' emotionally, if you get me... So I tried to make the most rational choice, [s]or at least one that convinced me that it was the most rational[/s]...

As @above said, Allegro is great for learning, as it's easy use allows you to concentrate abit more on learnin your language. Before I started with game dev, about a year or so, I thought I knew cpp pretty well, but now, looking from inside real game development, I realised that I knew basic cpp... It's good to evaluate how much you really know and, if you see you have real knowledge on your language I guess you may dive in some deeper stuff like OpenGL, Direct3D/X, etcetc.

(XNA ? C#) nuff said here ! [size="1"][?]

As I usually hear here and there, start tough. I started with C++ instead of Java or C#... This way I would feel confortable when trying to learn C#, If I had gone to C# first I guess I'd get frustrated trying to go through cpp...

Personally I would disagree with this if this is your first exposure programming. The pitfalls of C++ can detract from learning the core programming concepts that will make you a good programmer in all languages. I learned C++ as my first language (when I was fairly young) and I feel like I learned the details of C++ before I really understood OOP and general good programming practices. I would recommend starting with C# or Java.

Take a piece of paper. Write all the programming languages you've heard of on it. Tape it to some cork board. Throw darts at it until you hit a language. You should then use that language.

Repeat for game engines.

[size="1"]And you think I'm kidding...

Why C++? C++ is mature language and there is massive amount of FREE libraries, tutorials, and advice available to aid in the construction your MMORPG Engine's Sub Systems. If you're like me and desire to take on the challenge of constructing your own MMORPG Engine, you will see value in simplifying your programming life where possible. My next word of advice would be to consider your networking in aspect of your design, because you cannot accomplish a two-person multi-player game without it.

Why C++? C++ is mature language and there is massive amount of FREE libraries, tutorials, and advice available to aid in the construction your MMORPG Engine's Sub Systems. If you're like me and desire to take on the challenge of constructing your own MMORPG Engine, you will see value in simplifying your programming life where possible.

If you saw the value in simplifying your programming life, you wouldn't be recommending C++.

[quote name='T e c h l o r d' timestamp='1324499483' post='4896291']
Why C++? C++ is mature language and there is massive amount of FREE libraries, tutorials, and advice available to aid in the construction your MMORPG Engine's Sub Systems. If you're like me and desire to take on the challenge of constructing your own MMORPG Engine, you will see value in simplifying your programming life where possible.

If you saw the value in simplifying your programming life, you wouldn't be recommending C++.
[/quote]

Honestly, C++ is only as complicated as you it make it. I've seen very procedural implementations with C++ that almost mimic BASIC. Also, the OP stated that they're pretty good with C++.

Honestly, C++ is only as complicated as you it make it.

No amount of programmer cautiousness can make up for a broken compilation model or horrible tooling or small/awkward standard library. (or arguably many of the other pitfalls)

I've seen very procedural implementations with C++ that almost mimic BASIC.
[/quote]

Shouldn't you take that as a hint? The easiest to use form of the language is where it looks like something else? Shouldn't you just use something else at that point?

Also, the OP stated that they're pretty good with C++.
[/quote]

No offense to the OP, but if you think they're pretty good with C++ I have a bridge to sell you.

Honestly, C++ is only as complicated as you it make it.

3D MMORPG is about as complicated as it gets, so I'm gonna go ahead and say doing this project in C++ would be incredibly complicated. It would in any language, for that matter. Just more complicated in C++.

But that doesn't change how I feel as stated in my first post.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement