• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tonemgub

A good book about HLSL

This topic is 2520 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to get into the topic of programming Shaders and have spotted two books tht seem to be decent.
Can anyone give me a hint what would be the better choice?

GPU Pro 2 from (Feb 2011)
http://www.amazon.co...4053773&sr=1-14

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach (from June 2006)
http://www.amazon.co...24055541&sr=1-4

Should I choose the newer book even most reviews I read were concerning the second book!?

Advertisement
The GPU Pro books are indeed fantastic, but as their subtitle (advanced rendering techniques) suggests, they are not aimed at beginners, they're more the kind of books that you want to read once you're comfortable using shaders to implement abstract ideas.

Also, GPU Pro 2 doesn't replace GPU Pro 1 (nor the earlier Shader X 7, 6, 5...) books. Each of them is kind of like a collection of "essays" on different topics (each chapter is a different author describing a different technique) - you'd want to look at the table of contents of those kinds of books to see if you're interested in each of the separate chapters.

You'd certainly learn plenty about shaders if you go with Luna's book (or any other D3D9 book for that matter) but it's certainly a bit outdated by now. Modern GPU's have many more capabilities when it comes to shaders, and they won't be covered in a book focused on D3D9. I would probably recommend going with something more recent so that you're more caught up with modern API's and GPU's.

And yes, I'm biased because I worked on a D3D11 book. :P

Well, it's more about the teaching value of the book... I've read that most of these books are not constructed for beginners - that's the only one where I know it is.
Currently I would still like to start off with a book about D3D9.
Unless you know a book that's good for beginners and has one or two chapters about D3D11?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!