• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
worldalpha

Lack of Comments in the Developer Journals

This topic is 2347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well having several posts to my Developer Journal here on Game Dev, I was beginning to wonder why I have had so little comments. Looking at the homepage of the Developer Journals though, many of the posts have zero or 1 post. The most is only 8 comments on one of the Featured ones. Just wondering why the Developer Journals don't generate a little more discussion.

Advertisement

Well having several posts to my Developer Journal here on Game Dev, I was beginning to wonder why I have had some little comments. Looking at the homepage of the Developer Journals though, many of the posts have zero or 1 post. The most is only 8 comments on one of the Featured ones. Just wondering why the Developer Journals don't generate a little more discussion.

Good question. I think it comes down to exposure mostly.. we'll be doing a lot to rebuild our site in 2012, but it took quite a bit of tearing down to get to this point - one of the things we'll be doing in the next version of the site due out next week is starting to build a list of participants within each forum as sort of a mini group (think 'For Beginners' group as an example), then show a member activity stream that includes journal updates from just the people within that little group. That way you can see posts from the people you are familiar with and respond to them.

Likewise, we'll be making it far easier to navigate everything by integrating it all from the forum topics listing. That way you can post articles, dev journals, and forum topics all from the same page. It sounds complicated, but it will actually make navigation ridiculously easy and radically improve your ability to share information with each other.

- Michael

I like the model I saw on some website where posting a blog automatically creates a thread in a specific subform (instead of the comments). That way people that just look at the new content in the forum also see it and it also encourages discussion more.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!