• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Physics and model loader in openGL

This topic is 2251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a pair of objects loader (that are able to import files exported from 3dsmax) and physics engine that will cooperate. What I mean is that i want to use them smoothly with no worries that loaded meshes won't work with my physics engine. For now i had been using loader found on some site(loader made by someone called Matthew Fairfax). It was really easy to use, but really poor(it din't even ready full material proporties from a file, like specular). I tried assimp but i failed miserably when trying to use it. Can you give me some propositions of libraries? they doesn't have to be basic and easy, but i don't want something very sophisticated:)
Thanks in advace :D

Advertisement
I'd be very, very careful of any library promising that out of the box. It does not make any sense at all for most formats I can think about.
Graphical meshes can indeed be sent to physics for processing (might require some mangling) but it's discouraged. The performance is poor at best and barely sustainable on netbooks (AMD-based netbooks are slightly better).
You must figure out AssImp. If you cannot, odds are it's too early for the problem.
For the physics, I reccomand Bullet.

I'd be very, very careful of any library promising that out of the box. It does not make any sense at all for most formats I can think about.
Graphical meshes can indeed be sent to physics for processing (might require some mangling) but it's discouraged. The performance is poor at best and barely sustainable on netbooks (AMD-based netbooks are slightly better).
You must figure out AssImp. If you cannot, odds are it's too early for the problem.
For the physics, I reccomand Bullet.

Oh so I am bound to use both of them, good i have christmas break to spent time working out how those libraries work:) Thank You:)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement