Where to start?

Started by
2 comments, last by caer 12 years, 4 months ago
I want to start game programming either in java or c++,but i have learnt a bit about java while modding minecraft. But i want to learn c++ because people say it is better.Also, i dont even know where to look to find a tutorial for a simple game,like pong.So please could someone out there help me?
Advertisement
If you've already started Java, I would recommend you keep going. There is no absolute "better" programming language, there are only engineering trade-offs. It really doesn't matter too much which you start with, most programmers will learn dozens of languages eventually.

Also please note that the "For Beginners" Forum FAQ requests that you do not use the forum's "polling" feature in this sub-forum. Such polls are biased and become mere popularity contests, and do not give proper discussion and weight to the merits of the various choices.
If you already know java, maybe you should start with java, learn how a game works, it's loops, it's graphics/resources/data/saves/loads/input etc.
When I was starting I went after a simple open source game and tried to remake it from ground using the same engines the author did (allegro, in that case).

As I was using c++, it took me some time to learn how to set up the environment, but in the end it worked just fine.
Game From Scratch there you go =)

I've started reading the book suggested in the C++ workshop ("Teach yourself C++ in 21 days") and used the example of game from scratch to create a pong game using SFML to get in touch with graphical libraries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement