• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VISQI

3D Maze Creation

This topic is 2433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hya doin people?
So, I have been trying to make a 3D maze program with AI spheres moving all around it randomly. I have all the player and the AI collision code and most of the code, but i need a way to create the walls in the maze without having to write the positions of EACH AND EVERY vertex in all the walls(something that i did previously and surprisingly worked :)

My question is, how can i get the positions of each wall in a decent manner?? Is there like an isometric program where i can actually draw the maze and then get their position on the xz-axis??

I was thinking of making something like this, and turn it into 3D coordinates, is there a more direct approach??

Advertisement
Hi,

First off just to clear up I presume you are talking about a 2D maze with 3D objects (i.e. no y axis, just x and z) or do you mean a 3D maze as in it has height as well, objects can go up etc.?

If its just the x and z axis you are dealing with then a simple text file with different symbols corresponding to walls, empty space, spawn points, etc. should suffice. If you want it easier to use then you could create a simple level editor tool that allows you to position the objects and writes the text file for you. I can't really think of an easier solution.

If you want all 3 axis and have a fully 3D maze then you could look into designing it in a 3D modelling program like Maya and exporting / importing the information from there.

x

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!