• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rocketship

Loading resources over local network

This topic is 2554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In order to speed up my iteration times, I'm considering loading my resources for a handheld project over my LAN. I want to have things like scripts, textures etc stored on a small PC with a static IP address.

I'm considering using http and running a Samba sever on a netbook, instead of writing my own client/server side implementation using sockets. I just wanted to hear anybody else's thoughts on this. Maybe you have a better/faster solution, or maybe you think what I intend to is just fine.

So....any thoughts?

Advertisement
Loading resources over HTTP is easy enough to set up. I highly recommend it if you're looking at something like this.

HTTP could have acceptable performance out of the box, depending on the speed of your machines/network and the size of your game.

If it does not, there are still some things you can try before dropping down to a custom solution. Http can support compression, see if you can configure it if it isn't on by default. You could also look into caching using Etags.

Speaking from experience, HTTP with applicable compression is plenty fast - and given that this is running over a network, I sincerely doubt there will be any issues with performance. Proper use of parallel connections, request pipelining, and a decent server will get you basically enough speed that you'll be limited by the receiving device hardware more than anything else.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!