Loading resources over local network

Started by
4 comments, last by Promit 12 years, 3 months ago
In order to speed up my iteration times, I'm considering loading my resources for a handheld project over my LAN. I want to have things like scripts, textures etc stored on a small PC with a static IP address.

I'm considering using http and running a Samba sever on a netbook, instead of writing my own client/server side implementation using sockets. I just wanted to hear anybody else's thoughts on this. Maybe you have a better/faster solution, or maybe you think what I intend to is just fine.

So....any thoughts?
Advertisement
Loading resources over HTTP is easy enough to set up. I highly recommend it if you're looking at something like this.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.
HTTP could have acceptable performance out of the box, depending on the speed of your machines/network and the size of your game.

If it does not, there are still some things you can try before dropping down to a custom solution. Http can support compression, see if you can configure it if it isn't on by default. You could also look into caching using Etags.
Speaking from experience, HTTP with applicable compression is plenty fast - and given that this is running over a network, I sincerely doubt there will be any issues with performance. Proper use of parallel connections, request pipelining, and a decent server will get you basically enough speed that you'll be limited by the receiving device hardware more than anything else.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Basically it's a good idea, run with it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement