• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xynapse

Quaternions

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, as my previous posts might sound a bit unclear, i have decided to start over and ask the basics, as i just can't get this working.

My Exporter exports Translation and Rotation per frame for each bone.

- Translation ( CVector3 )

- Rotation ( CQuaternion )

Engine when doing Tick(), updates only those vertexes that are blended with Bone ( linked to bone ) - this is, how it gets done:

for( everyVertex that has a bone linked )
{

// Grab Translation of this bone in this frame
CVector3 vBoneTranslation = m_vBones[iVertexBoneID].m_vTranslations[m_fCurrentFrame];
CVector3 vBoneTranslationN = m_vBones[iVertexBoneID].m_vTranslations[m_fCurrentFrame+1];

// Grab Rotation of this bone in this frame
Quaternion qBoneRotation = m_vBones[iVertexBoneID].m_qRotations[m_fCurrentFrame];
Quaternion qBoneRotationN = m_vBones[iVertexBoneID].m_qRotations[m_fCurrentFrame+1];

// Apply rotation to original vertexes
CVector3 vTempPos = qBoneRotation * vPos;

// Apply translation to vTempPos

vTempPos += vBoneTranslation;

}

// Update the VBO with vertexes that were changed

The thing is, translation works properly - but i can't get this Rotation to work, here is the CQuaternion operator* definition.

CVector3 CQuaternion::operator*(CVector3 v)
{
// This function is a complex function that calculates the
// result of multiplying a quaternion by a vector. We perform
// three calculations for different parts of the whole equation
// and then add them all up to return the result:
//
// ResultVector =
// ( vec * ( 2w^2 - 1) ) + (2 * (q_xyz dot vec) * q_xyz) + (2w * (q_xyz cross vec))

// First we store the x,y,z of the quaternion in a CVector3
CVector3 q(x, y, z);

// The is the first part of the equation: ( vec * ( 2w^2 - 1) )
CVector3 t1 = v * (2.0f * w * w - 1.0f);

// This is the second part of the equation: (2 * (q_xyz dot vec) * q_xyz)
CVector3 t2 = 2.0f * q.Dot(v) * q;

// This is the third and final part of the equation: (2 * w * (q_xyz cross vec))
CVector3 t3 = 2.0f * w * q.Cross(v);

// Now add up all the vectors and return the final resultant vector
return t1 + t2 + t3;
}

I would like you guys to have a look at the operator* definition and confirm it is ok, before i write how do i get the Quaternions from MAX.

Thanks and sorry for previous duplicates, as it was caused by lagged browser.

Advertisement
I haven't checked your code, but the way one usually goes about applying the rotation represented by a quaternion to a vector is this:
rotated_v = q * v * conj(q)
where v is interpreted as a quaternion by assigning it a 0 real part.

To know if your code is working, set up a few simple examples (rotations of 90 degrees along different axes will do).

I haven't checked your code, but the way one usually goes about applying the rotation represented by a quaternion to a vector is this:
rotated_v = q * v * conj(q)
where v is interpreted as a quaternion by assigning it a 0 real part.

To know if your code is working, set up a few simple examples (rotations of 90 degrees along different axes will do).

Thanks alvarao, let me check this out now and i'll post the results..

Ok, this works like a charm, but the problem was due to 3DS MAX transformations when Physique was applied. This topic can be closed, as the root cause is Max Exporting functions, that i have posted here:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/617380-3ds-max-exporting-object-vertexes-positions-and-physique/

Still in trouble, but at least not with quaternions..

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!