Changing project name after localization

Started by
8 comments, last by renega_666 12 years, 3 months ago
Hello,

Little problem I'm having with my program, I'm sure someone here can help me out with;

I recently made localization for my program, and it works great right now, but now, after too long a while, I've decided to rename the program, with a full rename, so the process name changes too.
This has caused problems with using the localization.dlls, since the .dlls are named after the old project name, even after rebuilding, which didn't change anything and manually renaming the dll to the new project name, it still doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what the correct steps for renaming a project after creation and still keeping everything intact?
Thanks.
Advertisement
Which IDE? Maybe your IDE doesn't rename the output name used to generate your binaries.
Visual Studio.
The project folders haven't been renamed either, but the IDE did pick up on those, since debugging and running from the IDE works.
When you build your librairies are them renamed?
If not you might need to go in in your linker configuration and change the name of the output files.

See if those links can help you:
- http://akutz.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/visual-studio-2010-c-linker-and-librarian-output-files-and-target-name/
- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5076216/renaming-a-project
I tried the method on the stackoverflow thread, and that doen't work, it crashes me saying that OldName.Form.resource file isn't found, I don't really know what to make of it, the file it requests still uses the old project name, but the IDE now can't find it? i have no idea...

The first link from akutz doesn't help me, I'm using VS2008, I should've clarified earlier, sorry.
I have no idea too.

The easiest solution is to create a new project (with the appropriate name) and then add all your source files to this new project.
Except that then the IDE doesn't pick up on the headers as being forms and doesn't let me display them in design mode =\
"Except that then the IDE doesn't pick up on the headers as being forms and doesn't let me display them in design mode =\"

Creating a new empty form and copy pasting the code from the old form to the new one doesn't work?
I was afraid you'd say that XD
My project has about a hundred forms, each coming with 2 resource files for localization, it's gonna take a while, copying codes into empty forms to get everything over...

But I guess that's the only method then...
Thanks.
"But I guess that's the only method then..."

I guess too... Unless you can revert back to the state before renaming and doing a proper rename but that's only if your sources are under version control or if you made a backup before renaming...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement