• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TTT_Dutch

Guidance Needed

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Preface: Well in the past I have made one game with SFML. It was a common "Pikin Sticks" clone. It only tooks me a weekend to make and it was very fun to make too! I had attempted to make a larger 3D game after that but failed due to complications in the Rendering system and not really having any knowledge of what makes up a 3D Game. I used and still would like to use C++ and OpenGL core profile (3.3).

First off, I have some knowledge about Shaders, Matrices/Vectors/Quaternions, and Windowing. Little knowledge about physics and model loading. And almost no knowledge about sound or networking. Also I don't know much about most data structures and almost nothing about algorithms. Do I need to learn these things? If so, what books/online resources/tutorials do you recommend I read to gain knowledge about these things? Do I need a book to learn about the components of a Game/Game Engine?

Secondly, I really want to make any game but should I make an engine or framework for it? Will that allow me to make other games easier since I have sort of a "Framework". I also really want to make 2D and 3D games easily with the same code (Maybe even move be able to go cross platform with the same code), how can I accomplish this?

Finally, should I use Xlib/WinAPI for windowing or should I just use a windowing library like SDL, GLFW, GTK, or SFML?

Thanks,
Brent

Advertisement
Firstly, I believe that you would likely need to know about model loading in order to make 3D games, and that whether you should learn about physics, sound and networking depends on the game you want to make. I also believe that although learning more about data structures and algorithms isn't strictly necessary, it is very helpful for programming. I can't help you regarding model loading, physics, sound or networking, but I learned much of what I know regarding algorithms from a book entitled "Algorithms" by Robert Sedgewick.

Secondly, the purpose of a engine or framework is to allow you to reuse code in future projects, but the ability to design reusable code requires a substantial knowledge of the design considerations for that code. As such, I would advise against trying to make an engine or framework alongside your third major game programming project.

Finally, I have never used Xlib so cannot comment on it, but I would suggest that you use a windowing library over WinAPI (at least my experience has been that SDL is much more convenient than WinAPI)

Firstly, I believe that you would likely need to know about model loading in order to make 3D games, and that whether you should learn about physics, sound and networking depends on the game you want to make. I also believe that although learning more about data structures and algorithms isn't strictly necessary, it is very helpful for programming. I can't help you regarding model loading, physics, sound or networking, but I learned much of what I know regarding algorithms from a book entitled "Algorithms" by Robert Sedgewick.

Secondly, the purpose of a engine or framework is to allow you to reuse code in future projects, but the ability to design reusable code requires a substantial knowledge of the design considerations for that code. As such, I would advise against trying to make an engine or framework alongside your third major game programming project.

Finally, I have never used Xlib so cannot comment on it, but I would suggest that you use a windowing library over WinAPI (at least my experience has been that SDL is much more convenient than WinAPI)

Okay thankyou very much! It looks as though I will get to reading "Algorithms", making a 3D game with SDL as my windowing system, and learning how to load 3D model files.

Oh I also have another question, how do you manage models and shaders? Do you have one object that renders them all with one shader or do you render each individually?

Thanks,
Brent

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!