• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sawiner

VClip Collision Detection - "Planar edges"

This topic is 2543 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been reading the document ( www.merl.com/papers/docs/TR97-05.pdf ) and implement it.

I have almost succeeded, however I am having a few troubles with the EF/FF states;
I am not sure which one is the problematic, I keep getting into infinite loop where I keep changing from first feature to the second one,
and then back to the first one.

After debugging, I noticed something wrong with my topology;
That is, I noticed one of my edges contain a plane, which should contain the set of all points
that are closest to that edges, but isn't.

The problem is, I am constructing the polygon using Incremental algorithm (convex hull construction).
That is, the algorithm is creating triangles and not quadrants, even if they match.
e.g. for a cube, the result will be 12 triangles, and not 6 quadrants.

I was wondering then, how in such case I should handle.
As far as I can see, I have two options:

(a) quadrangulation (not sure how it's written); However, I haven't found any algorithm for it, and really not sure how to do so.
(b) Make the edge have the correct planes. The problem is, the edge shouldn't even have a plane.
The sets of points that are closest to the edge are all only the points above that edge.
Also, if that is the case, how can I represent and create such set of points?

Also, if anyone has any suggestion on how to correctly debug such an algorithm, I would be helpful.
The problem debugging such code is understanding the meaning of the values. I understand the code and what
it's supposes to do, but I can't be sure if it does it right or wrong because of the values, and something
the scene isn't clear enough.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!