• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
YanickSalzmann

Terrain handling in strategic game

This topic is 2545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone

I have a terrain engine which im using in some of my RPG like games. Because its in a 3rd person perspective i use an approach that engine always loads 9 chunks of terrain around the position of the toon and updates it while the toon is moving. Because the movement is relatively slow compared to the size of one chunk and because you cannot really see a lot of terrain in 3rd person mode this works without any interrupts or visual distortions. But now id like to make a RTS game where you can see a lot more of the map and where you actually need to travel on the map instantly without any (noticeable) delays. Thus i guess that my current engine is not really what im looking for.

This leads me to my question:
What is a theoretical approach to the structure and the loading of the terrain? How can i assure that not the whole map is loaded into the memory during the whole time but its accessed within some frames so that you can instantly jump between locations?

Greetings
Muepe

Advertisement
This topic should probably be moved to "Graphics programming and Theory", as it's more likely you'd get more help there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!