Is the key frame animation file worthy to learn?

Started by
0 comments, last by Matias Goldberg 12 years, 3 months ago
i found now what the 3d model file used most is the skeletal animation file,key frame animation file is less and less.what i wanna ask is now where the key animation can be used?which format is still being used?md2 or other?and is it worthy to learn??thanks people,i am a beginner.

forgive my poor English!!Merry Christmas!!!
Advertisement
Hi! You are using wrong with terms.

"Key frame animation" is about interpolating values across time, while just defining a few "key" values at specific moments. This is still widely used.

The MD2 file used key-framed "vertex animation". This is rarely used nowadays because it's not flexible & eats a lot of memory and bandwidth. The only exception are facial expressions, where usually a "delta" variation of the technique is used. Anyways vertex animation is pretty simple to learn.

"Vertex animation" was dropped in favour of "skeletal animation"; which is probably a bit harder to understand at the beginning, but more powerful, flexible; and replaces the Memory consumption with more CPU/GPU consumption (which is a good thing; computational power grows faster than memory size and bandwidth)

In both cases (vertex & skeletal animations) key frames are used.

Edit: Some modern games (i.e. Assassin's Creed & Uncharted) also use IK (inverse kinematics) in real time in addition to keyframe animation. This makes the animation a lot more interactive & unique. However IK is definitely not for beginners.

Cheers & Merry xmas to you too
Dark Sylinc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement