• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2012

124 posts in this topic

We're still under pretty heavy construction yet and most likely will be until 2012, but this new version of the site marks a pretty huge organizational shift in how our site will work. Let us know your thoughts and please excuse all the dust while we continue to upgrade everything.

There WILL be stuff missing and broken, but hopefully we'll be able to get past all that relatively quickly. Thanks for your understanding.

- Michael Tanczos

Is there an equivalent to the old feedback button? Do we just put stuff in GDNet:CSI or hold off until you guys get the obvious stuff under control?

Post it in this forum for now. It certainly doesn't hurt in case we overlook things since we are in the "fix what's not working" phase as wel. We've tried to get major stuff in place so we could get the site back online but there are a number of smaller things we have to fix / update yet.

I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is [i]no [/i]connection to the forum on the frontpage [i]at all[/i]. Other than that, I also get periodic logouts (assuming that's related to the 'site under construction' deal though).

Really, I was hoping for more exposure in IOTD (e.g. more screenspace for IOTD on frontpage), a better thread listing and some overall improvements. It feels like instead we nuked the site and went back to being in Alpha when we just reached Beta status.

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is [i]no [/i]connection to the forum on the frontpage [i]at all[/i].[/quote]
The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325090048' post='4897564'] [quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is [i]no [/i]connection to the forum on the frontpage [i]at all[/i].[/quote] The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum. Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text. [/quote]

I was expecting the quote box to appear under the post I was quoting. But other than that, I like what I see so far.

So are we getting an official GDNet black theme? I know one has been created as a CSS add-on using Stylish plug-in. I was hoping that it will be official.

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325090048' post='4897564']
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is [i]no [/i]connection to the forum on the frontpage [i]at all[/i].[/quote]
The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.
[/quote]
Yes. My point is that gone is the "Recent Posts/Threads" replaced with... nothing. A twitter feed from GD.Net apparently. Not trying to be pure negative here, but I really liked to be able to see everything at a glance -- now I have to wade through each subforum to see if there's anything new. Unless I'm missing something here...?

Also, the "Report" button is irritatingly placed where the "Reply" button used to be -- I keep accidentally clicking it. Though that might just be habit :)

I guess I like the new look, just not sure what's going on with the frontpage...

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562']
I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is [i]no [/i]connection to the forum on the frontpage [i]at all[/i].
[/quote]

We hear you. I was hoping we would launch with this but we [i]have[/i] agreed to provide a fourth tab on the main page that will give you immediate access to the recent forum threads you can get when you click on Active Content as well as the ability to filter stuff in the tab like you can with the Around The Web news.

Would it be possible to have a setting in your profile that only shows "New Posts" from forums you are interesting in.

Here's a couple of my thoughts about the new design:[list]
[*]Quote box I think is better than before. Just make the border color uniform. Darker left edge looks funny, and it's not the drop shadow.
[*]Still need the black theme.
[*]Forum access is a bit funky. For Beginners has its own menu, some are hidden, others are accessible from popups.
[*]I think there's a lack of focus on what this site is about. A lot of content seems to be thrown in everywhere. IOTD here, ads there, jobs there, forums here, news here. It's better to put what's most important (you guys decide) on the homepage, and put the rest on its own separate area (yes, older site was better organized than this one).
[/list]

My only complaint is the stark white background. It is quite jarring. The bluish gray background was much more pleasing to the eye.

My preference would be the return of the 'watched' list.

WAY back in the old forums, the custom list shown on top was the list of forums you were interested in. I think it started back in the 2.x days when things were black.

The replaced forums still had the list of watched forums, but it was on the side unless you did your own little bit of CSS hackery. There were several CSS snippets in various journals that covered different approaches to it.

Now it seems that they are gone entirely.

I still would love to see a list of my watched forums that have new content right up at the top. That is what I am interested in more than anything else, even more than all the menu items. That is my jumplist for the rest of the board.

Overall design is a little bit sleeker, not bad.

But the annoying issue you might have already noticed is that when you Load More Topics in any forum and enter any of them, after hitting Back button later we go back to the first page of topics only, having to click through Load More again.

Cheers

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325125344' post='4897684']
Can you subscribe to forums instead of forum threads?
[/quote]

Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.

Tonight I'm going to be working a bit on permissions since article adding will be 100% open this time.. allowing anybody to post articles just like topics are posted.

Any way we can put "[user]'s Content" in its own link? I use it quite often when I want to see threads I've posted in.

Also, is the option to see what posts have been rated up or down available?

Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.

[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1325140376' post='4897708']
Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.
[/quote]

This is a caching issue with MaxCDN - This is also on my list to repair. Your profile pic would automatically update in 24 hours - but my fix is going to have to make that much quicker.

I think I like the new black text on white look - always good for websites to be clear. But some comments:

* The division line between topics/threads in the forums is almost invisible, making it hard to see the division between threads.

* I note that some buttons only appear when you hover over them (e.g., the "Preview this topic" arrow) - a bad idea for UIs (since you don't know what's available until you mouse over by accident), and even worse on mobiles and touchscreens (if it works at all?)

* When I shrink my browser window so the width is too small to fit, I don't see any horizontal scrollbar appear (using IE 7). I don't know if this is a browser bug issue or what (other websites work fine on this system). Again, could be a big problem with low resolution devices like mobiles.

[quote name='maya18222' timestamp='1325110580' post='4897625']
Would it be possible to have a setting in your profile that only shows "New Posts" from forums you are interesting in.
[/quote]

To do this, click on the "Join this group" button at the top of any forum you are interested in. Now go to the "Watched Content" link up above and you will see any new posts made to forums you are watching as well as any individual threads you are watching in forums where you don't want new thread updates from the entire forum, just the individual thread

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325137149' post='4897705']
Any way we can put "[user]'s Content" in its own link? I use it quite often when I want to see threads I've posted in.
[/quote]

Go up to your username at the top right and you'll see a link to My Content

[quote]
Also, is the option to see what posts have been rated up or down available?
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean here. Some forums like here and in the Lounge no longer have ratings, is that where the question comes from?

[quote name='rein' timestamp='1325125772' post='4897687']
But the annoying issue you might have already noticed is that when you Load More Topics in any forum and enter any of them, after hitting Back button later we go back to the first page of topics only, having to click through Load More again.
[/quote]

Yes, I've noticed this on other IPS forums. I don't know if we can do anything about it but I've just gone back to using the Next and Prev page buttons to advance my view, that way using the Back button returns me to the topic list I left when I entered a thread.

[quote name='mdwh' timestamp='1325171093' post='4897802']
I think I like the new black text on white look - always good for websites to be clear. But some comments:

* The division line between topics/threads in the forums is almost invisible, making it hard to see the division between threads.
[/quote]

Agreed on the almost-invisible division line. I suppose it could be made slightly darker. At the same time though all topic/threads are of uniform dimension, so it's not that difficult to pick them out really. Each folder icon is one topic/thread, for example.

[quote]
* I note that some buttons only appear when you hover over them (e.g., the "Preview this topic" arrow) - a bad idea for UIs (since you don't know what's available until you mouse over by accident), and even worse on mobiles and touchscreens (if it works at all?)
[/quote]

The site has a mobile version. I'll admit it probably needs a good deal of TLC but issue like this won't be a problem with it.

[quote]
* When I shrink my browser window so the width is too small to fit, I don't see any horizontal scrollbar appear (using IE 7). I don't know if this is a browser bug issue or what (other websites work fine on this system). Again, could be a big problem with low resolution devices like mobiles.
[/quote]

That's probably an IE thing. Works fine here on Firefox 9.0.1. There's a lot of stuff (here and everywhere else on the 'net) that doesn't work on IE unfortunately

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1325127086' post='4897689']
[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325125344' post='4897684']
Can you subscribe to forums instead of forum threads?
[/quote]
Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list.
[/quote]
Unless there's some option I'm missing, the problem with this is that it only lists the joined forums and the most recent thread in each forum. It doesn't list every recent thread in every joined forum - like how the old forum filters worked for active topics.

Also, it's a little surprising that just making a post in a forum automatically causes you to join that forum.

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325177734' post='4897830']
Unless there's some option I'm missing, the problem with this is that it only lists the joined forums and the most recent thread in each forum. It doesn't list every recent thread in every joined forum - like how the old forum filters worked for active topics.
[/quote]

Ah you're right - joining a forum won't show all new threads in the "threads" view of your Watched Content page. It will only tell you if there have been any new posts in that forum since your last visit. We should bring back the sidebox that shows this information - it's not useful enough otherwise to have to go looking for it in Wached Content but would be nice to have immediately visible when you enter the forums and can see what other forums you're following have new posts.

[quote]
Also, it's a little surprising that just making a post in a forum automatically causes you to join that forum.
[/quote]

yes posting in a forum makes you part of that forum community, but you're right in that it shouldn't auto-subscribe you to the forum for notifications. You can specify in your settings the option to auto-follow posts you reply to but there's no setting to not auto-follow forums.

Actually, I did find a way to filter the new content page by forum. (By the way having the link labelled "Active Content" and the page titled "New content" hurts my brain a little.) On the new content page, on the left hand box at the very bottom there's a "Filter by forum" link. Unfortunately, in order to use it you need to manually add in every forum you want to look at and there doesn't seem to be any quick way to toggle it on and off. Plus it takes so long to process that I thought for a minute that the site had crashed.

Also, very minor thing that I'd feel stupid for starting a new thread for: on the possible awards on the profiles, there's a series of ranks awards. The one for "Sergeant" is incorrectly spelled "Sargeant".