GameDev.net 2012

Started by
123 comments, last by Gaiiden 12 years, 1 month ago
When I read the forums, I usually open the New Content page, and scroll down, opening threads that catch my eye in new tabs. Since most threads have only one tab, this means I keep my mouse towards the left of the column and for the multi-page threads I need to move my mouse over and then come back. It's not a big deal, but I think it would flow better this way, especially on my laptop where I use the touch pad.

tl;dr: I'm lazy.
Advertisement
Btw, a question out of the blue, are forum avatars and profile avatars now unified? They weren't in the last version of GD, and I noticed my forum avatar has now changed into what was previously my profile avatar.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.

Bugs/errors: hovering over the advanced search icon displays a blank blue box, seems like an error to me.
Under classifieds -> Indie Projects it says:
Are you looking for a team to join or for someone to join your team? Post about it here. Note: This forum is to help hobbyists and independent game developers connect. Commercial game jobs should be listed here.[/quote]
Did you miss a 'not' in the last sentence?

Thanks for putting so much effort into this website!

[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.

Btw, a question out of the blue, are forum avatars and profile avatars now unified? They weren't in the last version of GD, and I noticed my forum avatar has now changed into what was previously my profile avatar.

Correct, there is now one image for your profile and avatar. I know, I like it too!

Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.

Mods and admins get a bit more use out of the black bar area - it's not going anywhere. We'ev also economized the top area of the screen as much as possible. If you have specific points of improvement you'd like to offer we're listening but I can't see it getting any smaller. It's all vital info up there.

[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.
[/quote]

Might take a good couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not instantaneous.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

How do I collapse subforums?

Also, email notification seems to have stopped.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

How do I collapse subforums?

Collapse them where? I'm not aware you can collapse them anywhere. But on the main forum index if you want to collapse groups of forums you can do so by clicking the minus button that appears when you hover over the dark blue group title bar. If you're looking to collapse these first few forum groups to get at the forums further down I suggest you use the menus at the top - they all lead straight to these forums lower down in the index

Also, email notification seems to have stopped.
[/quote]

Check your settings and let us know if notifications have been changed for you

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

What about this right below the search bar? Everything you subscribe to is listed here..

[attachment=6530:watched.PNG]

Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.

I have joined several groups, and it seemed my previous forums were turned into those watch lists with the upgrade.

When I attempt to view them under the search bar, I get: "

Sorry, we could not find any content you are following"

When using the "Watched Content" link it split across two pages and requires four clicks to get them all. The first is "Watched Content ... Forums" to give the forum list, then "Developer Journals ... Blog" to get the second list. Contrast with it all being right on the main page under the older (<2010) board. Under the previous edition (2011) it was as a sidebar that you could push up to the top with a bit of CSS (which was covered under several developer blogs at last year's transition).

It does look like the content it is present, it just takes 4 clicks to reach and two different pages instead of it being the foremost items in the list as it has been in the past.

It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.

It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.

All the top-most forums on the forum index have no direct access via the menu bar. Therefore they are at the top so you don't have to visit the forum index and then scroll down to find them. I've shuffled the Community Interaction up above the Workshops forum. We'll be adding NeHe and AngelCode to the Technical menu

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.

Way to add the tags! :thumbup:

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I found another bug. If you view a thread with a newly created post immediately after you create the post, there is no option to edit it. You have to refresh to be able to edit your last post.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement