GameDev.net 2012

Started by
123 comments, last by Gaiiden 12 years, 2 months ago
We do appreciate the feedback and it has been very helpful. I know Drew was battling article stuff the better part of last night and he's frustrated with some aspects of the IPS software right now. We just have to fix what we can fix on our end and do the best we can with the rest. Having a third company party do the updates at least has allowed us to get more updates out there, but is requiring more adjustment on our part on how to best mold the software to our community and vice-versa.
Advertisement
Yes, I am frustrated right now (and cranky), but I'm not complaining! I'm trying to make it clear that you no longer have to rely solely on us for improvements to this site's software. That is all. This particular type of feedback can't be acted upon based on one person's opinion so I'm saying that you can either make the effort to convice us (with something like a petition or poll) or Invision to implement some changes, and that in my opinion it would be better to convince Invision since this is the type of modification I don't see as having to be unique to our site.

[edit]
Mike's been talking to me on Skype about this response and I realize I may still not have made myself clear. I'm not telling you to take your suggestions to Invision because I don't want to hear them. I'm telling you to take your suggestions (actually this particular issue - I am not referring to anything else you've submitted thus far) to Invision becuase I feel that's the better option for improving this software given both our own limited resources and the fact that we have to remain compliant with changes made to this software which means it's best if the company in charge of developing the software is the one that makes them. This is simply my rationale in responding as such to this particular issue.

I absolutely want to continue to hear your thoughts and suggestions and respond to them just as I have all your previous ones, and just as I have everyone elses.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding that led you to believe I was simply trying to get you to take your issues elsewhere because I was tired of hearing them.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Yes, I am frustrated right now (and cranky), but I'm not complaining! I'm trying to make it clear that you no longer have to rely solely on us for improvements to this site's software. That is all. This particular type of feedback can't be acted upon based on one person's opinion so I'm saying that you can either make the effort to convice us (with something like a petition or poll) or Invision to implement some changes, and that in my opinion it would be better to convince Invision since this is the type of modification I don't see as having to be unique to our site.

Don't worry Gaiiden, I get what you're saying -- we can't rely on GD staff fixing stuff that isn't really custom to the site. Got it. smile.png

Well, while we are on the subject of complaining -- I hate the text editor. It keeps jumping around as soon as I put anything in cursive. Maybe it's just me? Anyways, huge annoyance -- definitely did not happen in the old editor.

Also, I noticed Help Wanted is the only forum not linked to on the frontpage header -- deliberate or did you just ran out of space?

EDIT: Oh, I see. None of the "community interaction" forums are listed there. Well, that explains a bit.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Don't worry Gaiiden, I get what you're saying -- we can't rely on GD staff fixing stuff that isn't really custom to the site. Got it. smile.png

Well, while we are on the subject of complaining -- I hate the text editor. It keeps jumping around as soon as I put anything in cursive. Maybe it's just me? Anyways, huge annoyance -- definitely did not happen in the old editor.

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic here or not based off my seemingly abrasive response to SiCrane but if you're serious about the text editor issue I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cursive". And what is "it"? The text cursor?

Also, I noticed Help Wanted is the only forum not linked to on the frontpage header -- deliberate or did you just ran out of space?

EDIT: Oh, I see. None of the "community interaction" forums are listed there. Well, that explains a bit.
[/quote]

This was indeed deliberate. You'll notice the Affiliate subforums are also missing from the menus, however I have asked Mike to add NeHe and Angelcode to the Technical menu. We're unsure right now whether we'll be keeping up ties with Events for Gamers. In order to make up for "Community Interaction" forums having no real place in the menus, I've reshuffled the forum index to place them on top. They have no direct access because they are not considered "main" forums for the site. If the XNA workshop picks back up again I'd like to work in some direct access for that.

And to return to the specific Help Wanted issue, that forum will eventually be phased out to be replaced fully by the Classifieds system.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325699261' post='4899648']

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic here or not based off my seemingly abrasive response to SiCrane but if you're serious about the text editor issue I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cursive". And what is "it"? The text cursor?
[/quote]
Italics. Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment there. smile.png

The text cursor, yes. It jumps around if you put anything in italics, write some words without italics, and then backspace. No clue as to why or if this is just me -- but this is the second IP board that does it.

This was indeed deliberate. You'll notice the Affiliate subforums are also missing from the menus, however I have asked Mike to add NeHe and Angelcode to the Technical menu. We're unsure right now whether we'll be keeping up ties with Events for Gamers. In order to make up for "Community Interaction" forums having no real place in the menus, I've reshuffled the forum index to place them on top. They have no direct access because they are not considered "main" forums for the site. If the XNA workshop picks back up again I'd like to work in some direct access for that.

And to return to the specific Help Wanted issue, that forum will eventually be phased out to be replaced fully by the Classifieds system.
[/quote]
Good to know. Help Wanted is still a cluttered mess as-is, but that was always the case, so it's nice to hear that the Classifieds system is taking over. As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. smile.png
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

The text cursor, yes. It jumps around if you put anything in italics, write some words without italics, and then backspace. No clue as to why or if this is just me -- but this is the second IP board that does it.

yes I know what you're talking about, but actually for me, here on this site the cursor actually behaves pretty well. Elsewhere, like when I edit my Wordpress blog, I sometimes can't even tell exactly where the cursor is most of the time. I've noticed this annoyance all over the place since FF7 or so. I think it's a Flash thing? Have you noticed your text cursor hopping around on other websites or just here on GDNet? It drives me bonkers wherever it happens.

As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. Posted Image
[/quote]

It was indeed unfortunate JWalsh had to suspend the current XNA workshop. He got a new job at Microsoft and has been adjusting these last few months. He keeps saying he wants to pick it back up again and now that you remind me I'm due to give him another poke about it....

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Can the info about the thread: Started by, Forum Name be highlighted some other color than gray. It's hard to see. Plus I liked it when the that information was more in tablular format. Such as: Thread Name, Forum, Last Post Date/Last Poster. Much easier to read.

I'm referring to the New Content page, by the way.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I agree with SiCrane about the thread pages.

Also, didn't we have https at one stage (if maybe briefly)? It doesn't seem to work anymore...
All looking pretty good to me. Good to see comments viewable in journals on the mobile site now, good job.

One minor thing - on the mobile version I can't seem to see "My content"? It's not in the funky little grid menu thingy that I can pop up. Is this deliberate?

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325702074' post='4899665']

yes I know what you're talking about, but actually for me, here on this site the cursor actually behaves pretty well. Elsewhere, like when I edit my Wordpress blog, I sometimes can't even tell exactly where the cursor is most of the time. I've noticed this annoyance all over the place since FF7 or so. I think it's a Flash thing? Have you noticed your text cursor hopping around on other websites or just here on GDNet? It drives me bonkers wherever it happens.
[/quote]
Just here on GD.net and another IP board -- think it's something with their newer version of the text editor. Wordpress does it too, but that seems to be completely out of whack (half the time it seems to just do whatever it pleases and jumps at random). As far as I can tell, here it mostly only happens if I use italics, and only if I try to edit text after using them -- so I guess I'll be fine if I avoid them and type a bit slower. ph34r.png

As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. Posted Image

It was indeed unfortunate JWalsh had to suspend the current XNA workshop. He got a new job at Microsoft and has been adjusting these last few months. He keeps saying he wants to pick it back up again and now that you remind me I'm due to give him another poke about it....
[/quote]
Sounds like a great idea, my only concern would that most of the participants just aren't there anymore. Make sure to post an announcement somewhere visible if JWalsh decides to pick it up as there are probably quite a few who just gave up on it after the posts stopped coming.
~ Gabe
~ Cavil, BSG.
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement