GameDev.net 2012

Started by
123 comments, last by Gaiiden 12 years, 1 month ago
We're still under pretty heavy construction yet and most likely will be until 2012, but this new version of the site marks a pretty huge organizational shift in how our site will work. Let us know your thoughts and please excuse all the dust while we continue to upgrade everything.

There WILL be stuff missing and broken, but hopefully we'll be able to get past all that relatively quickly. Thanks for your understanding.

- Michael Tanczos
Advertisement
Is there an equivalent to the old feedback button? Do we just put stuff in GDNet:CSI or hold off until you guys get the obvious stuff under control?
Post it in this forum for now. It certainly doesn't hurt in case we overlook things since we are in the "fix what's not working" phase as wel. We've tried to get major stuff in place so we could get the site back online but there are a number of smaller things we have to fix / update yet.
I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all. Other than that, I also get periodic logouts (assuming that's related to the 'site under construction' deal though).

Really, I was hoping for more exposure in IOTD (e.g. more screenspace for IOTD on frontpage), a better thread listing and some overall improvements. It feels like instead we nuked the site and went back to being in Alpha when we just reached Beta status.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.

The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.
The new design looks a lot more polished and professional! Good job!
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.
The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum. Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text. [/quote]

I was expecting the quote box to appear under the post I was quoting. But other than that, I like what I see so far.

So are we getting an official GDNet black theme? I know one has been created as a CSS add-on using Stylish plug-in. I was hoping that it will be official.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.

The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.
[/quote]
Yes. My point is that gone is the "Recent Posts/Threads" replaced with... nothing. A twitter feed from GD.Net apparently. Not trying to be pure negative here, but I really liked to be able to see everything at a glance -- now I have to wade through each subforum to see if there's anything new. Unless I'm missing something here...?

Also, the "Report" button is irritatingly placed where the "Reply" button used to be -- I keep accidentally clicking it. Though that might just be habit :)

I guess I like the new look, just not sure what's going on with the frontpage...
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.

We hear you. I was hoping we would launch with this but we have agreed to provide a fourth tab on the main page that will give you immediate access to the recent forum threads you can get when you click on Active Content as well as the ability to filter stuff in the tab like you can with the Around The Web news.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Would it be possible to have a setting in your profile that only shows "New Posts" from forums you are interesting in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement