Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2012

Gaiiden    5710
[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325208884' post='4898006']
(By the way having the link labelled "Active Content" and the page titled "New content" hurts my brain a little.)
[/quote]

It was called "Recent Content" on the dev site. I have no idea why Mike changed it but yes one or the other should be modified

Michael Tanczos    5681
[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325211116' post='4898014']
[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325208884' post='4898006']
(By the way having the link labelled "Active Content" and the page titled "New content" hurts my brain a little.)
[/quote]

It was called "Recent Content" on the dev site. I have no idea why Mike changed it but yes one or the other should be modified
[/quote]

Well, it used to be "Active Topics" from 2000-2010 - after upgrading since the page covers everything on the previous iteration it was called "Active Content" in the link.

SiCrane    11839
Much better. Now all we need to do is capitalize "content" on the page title and everything will be perfect. (Just kidding. My OCD isn't [i]that[/i] bad.)

Michael Tanczos    5681
[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325213187' post='4898021']
Much better. Now all we need to do is capitalize "content" on the page title and everything will be perfect. (Just kidding. My OCD isn't [i]that[/i] bad.)
[/quote]

Done! =)

(testing a shared media attachment)

[sharedmedia=blog:entries:2250955]

Matias Goldberg    9577
2011 version sucked hard.
2012 rocks!

Took you a year guys! This site feels a lot more natural and comfortable. It also surfs better on Firefox & Opera. Faster too.
I do miss the recent posts though. But for some reason, it also forces me look at the rest of the site layout (which is well organized now) and realize GD.Net is not just a forum. I like the integration with the other parts of site.
Eventually you find the New Content link ;-)

Gaiiden    5710
Thanks Matias. There's a lot of new things to get used to and people will need to readjust their "site flow" a bit to get around comfortably but it's mostly all there. We'll be tweaking and adding more in the coming weeks and months

Gaiiden    5710
[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1325228976' post='4898072']
Is there any way to jump to the latest post(s) of a thread? I can't seem to find a way, there also isn't any hidden button.
[/quote]

Click on the icon to the left of the thread title. I admit this isn't really obvious but that's the way IPS designed it...

Read tracking is on now too so you don't have to remember to click "Mark this forum read" anymore either so the forum remembers your last viewed spot. Yay!

UltimaX    468
Hidden
I was going to edit my first post, but I'm not quit sure how... Is the edit post button is missing?

Anyway, I just noticed the "GameDev.net Forums RSS" RSS feed at the top. This is great and I think I will be using this.

Great job again.

UltimaX    468
I just noticed the "GameDev.net Forums RSS" RSS feed at the top. This is great and I think I will be using this as it will be a good alternative to the recent content that was on the home page.

Great job with the site everyone. Keep up the great work.

On a side note, the edit button does not show up on a post unless you refresh the page. Not a huge deal, but I wasn't sure why I couldn't see it at first.

evanofsky    2913
[quote name='UltimaX' timestamp='1325251372' post='4898125']
I just noticed the "GameDev.net Forums RSS" RSS feed at the top. This is great and I think I will be using this as it will be a good alternative to the recent content that was on the home page.
[/quote]

So many feeds! That's awesome! *adds to Google Reader*

SiCrane    11839
[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325231903' post='4898081']
[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1325228976' post='4898072']
Is there any way to jump to the latest post(s) of a thread? I can't seem to find a way, there also isn't any hidden button.
[/quote]
Click on the icon to the left of the thread title. I admit this isn't really obvious but that's the way IPS designed it...
[/quote]
On that note, is there any way to get the page numbers for long threads to show up next to the thread title rather than after the topic starter?

SiCrane    11839
When I read the forums, I usually open the New Content page, and scroll down, opening threads that catch my eye in new tabs. Since most threads have only one tab, this means I keep my mouse towards the left of the column and for the multi-page threads I need to move my mouse over and then come back. It's not a big deal, but I think it would flow better this way, especially on my laptop where I use the touch pad.

tl;dr: I'm lazy.

DarklyDreaming    367
Btw, a question out of the blue, are forum avatars and profile avatars now unified? They weren't in the last version of GD, and I noticed my forum avatar has now changed into what was previously my profile avatar.

Mussi    4407
Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.

Bugs/errors: hovering over the advanced search icon displays a blank blue box, seems like an error to me.
Under classifieds -> Indie Projects it says:
[quote]Are you looking for a team to join or for someone to join your team? Post about it here. Note: This forum is to help hobbyists and independent game developers connect. Commercial game jobs should be listed here.[/quote]
Did you miss a 'not' in the last sentence?

Thanks for putting so much effort into this website!

[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.

Gaiiden    5710
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325288006' post='4898288']
Btw, a question out of the blue, are forum avatars and profile avatars now unified? They weren't in the last version of GD, and I noticed my forum avatar has now changed into what was previously my profile avatar.
[/quote]

Correct, there is now one image for your profile and avatar. I know, I like it too!

[quote name='Mussi' timestamp='1325289035' post='4898293']
Looks clean and seems to work smoothly. I do have some remarks though: I don't like the black bar on top, it seems out of theme and only a small portion of it is actually used, wasting a lot of space. I think the previous solution looked better.
I not very fond of the vertical space used at the top of the site, this is probably because of the new login bar plus the announcement taking up a lot of vertical space.
[/quote]

Mods and admins get a bit more use out of the black bar area - it's not going anywhere. We'ev also economized the top area of the screen as much as possible. If you have specific points of improvement you'd like to offer we're listening but I can't see it getting any smaller. It's all vital info up there.

[quote]
[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.
[/quote]

Might take a good couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not instantaneous.

Gaiiden    5710
[quote name='Storyyeller' timestamp='1325306115' post='4898365']
How do I collapse subforums?
[/quote]

Collapse them where? I'm not aware you can collapse them anywhere. But on the main [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index"]forum index[/url] if you want to collapse groups of forums you can do so by clicking the minus button that appears when you hover over the dark blue group title bar. If you're looking to collapse these first few forum groups to get at the forums further down I suggest you use the menus at the top - they all lead straight to these forums lower down in the index

[quote]
Also, email notification seems to have stopped.
[/quote]

Check your settings and let us know if notifications have been changed for you

frob    44919
[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1325124472' post='4897683']
What about this right below the search bar? Everything you subscribe to is listed here..

[attachment=6530:watched.PNG]
[/quote]
[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1325127086' post='4897689']
Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.
[/quote]

I have joined several groups, and it seemed my previous forums were turned into those watch lists with the upgrade.

When I attempt to view them under the search bar, I get: "
[left]Sorry, we could not find any content you are following"[/left]

When using the "Watched Content" link it split across two pages and requires four clicks to get them all. The first is "Watched Content ... Forums" to give the forum list, then "Developer Journals ... Blog" to get the second list. Contrast with it all being right on the main page under the older (<2010) board. Under the previous edition (2011) it was as a sidebar that you could push up to the top with a bit of CSS (which was covered under several developer blogs at last year's transition).

It does look like the content it is present, it just takes 4 clicks to reach and two different pages instead of it being the foremost items in the list as it has been in the past.

It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.

Gaiiden    5710
[quote name='frob' timestamp='1325308736' post='4898375']
It seems very odd to have what may be the most important (watched topics and journals) require 4 clicks, but the stuff people are generally least interested in (a seemingly defunct workshop) as the foremost item on the forums.
[/quote]

All the top-most forums on the forum index have no direct access via the menu bar. Therefore they are at the top so you don't have to visit the forum index and then scroll down to find them. I've shuffled the Community Interaction up above the Workshops forum. We'll be adding NeHe and AngelCode to the Technical menu

Alpha_ProgDes    6921
We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.

Way to add the tags! :thumbup:

Storyyeller    215
I found another bug. If you view a thread with a newly created post immediately after you create the post, there is no option to edit it. You have to refresh to be able to edit your last post.

rip-off    10976
[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1325213680' post='4898023']
[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325213187' post='4898021']
[/quote]

Done! =)

(testing a shared media attachment)
[/quote]
I can see the edit history on this post. Should edit history be visible to regular members? It used to be moderator only, AFAICT.

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.[/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][/quote][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left]One nice thing about the secondary titles was that newbies would often start their question there, even if they used really generic terms in the thread title (e.g. "Help" or "C++ problems").[/left][/size][/font][/color]