• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2012

This topic is 2703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here's a couple of my thoughts about the new design:

• Quote box I think is better than before. Just make the border color uniform. Darker left edge looks funny, and it's not the drop shadow.
  • Still need the black theme.
  • Forum access is a bit funky. For Beginners has its own menu, some are hidden, others are accessible from popups.
  • I think there's a lack of focus on what this site is about. A lot of content seems to be thrown in everywhere. IOTD here, ads there, jobs there, forums here, news here. It's better to put what's most important (you guys decide) on the homepage, and put the rest on its own separate area (yes, older site was better organized than this one).

Advertisement
My only complaint is the stark white background. It is quite jarring. The bluish gray background was much more pleasing to the eye.

My preference would be the return of the 'watched' list.

WAY back in the old forums, the custom list shown on top was the list of forums you were interested in. I think it started back in the 2.x days when things were black.

The replaced forums still had the list of watched forums, but it was on the side unless you did your own little bit of CSS hackery. There were several CSS snippets in various journals that covered different approaches to it.

Now it seems that they are gone entirely.

I still would love to see a list of my watched forums that have new content right up at the top. That is what I am interested in more than anything else, even more than all the menu items. That is my jumplist for the rest of the board.

Overall design is a little bit sleeker, not bad.

But the annoying issue you might have already noticed is that when you Load More Topics in any forum and enter any of them, after hitting Back button later we go back to the first page of topics only, having to click through Load More again.

Cheers

Can you subscribe to forums instead of forum threads?

Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.

Tonight I'm going to be working a bit on permissions since article adding will be 100% open this time.. allowing anybody to post articles just like topics are posted.

Any way we can put "[user]'s Content" in its own link? I use it quite often when I want to see threads I've posted in.

Also, is the option to see what posts have been rated up or down available?

Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.

Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.

This is a caching issue with MaxCDN - This is also on my list to repair. Your profile pic would automatically update in 24 hours - but my fix is going to have to make that much quicker.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!