• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2012

124 posts in this topic

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325312967' post='4898390']
We used to have a secondary title line when creating a thread. But it seems to have gone away. Can we bring it back? I've actually used that second title line quite a bit.
[/quote]

Looks like IPS has done away with that second line completely.

[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1325315963' post='4898395']
I can see the edit history on this post. Should edit history be visible to regular members? It used to be moderator only, AFAICT.
[/quote]

Yes, the edit history is fully viewable - down the road members will get edit access to posts as well if they reach a certain reputation level. While it isn't as open as a wiki, it is more open than we have been in the past.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325316269' post='4898397']
Looks like IPS has done away with that second line completely.
[/quote]

Yup, that no longer exists for 3.2 and won't be back.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325292124' post='4898309']
Mods and admins get a bit more use out of the black bar area - it's not going anywhere. We'ev also economized the top area of the screen as much as possible. If you have specific points of improvement you'd like to offer we're listening but I can't see it getting any smaller. It's all vital info up there.

[Edit] Seems like this post of mine doesn't show up in 'My Content'.

Might take a good couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not instantaneous.
[/quote]

You're right, it's showing up in My Content now.

Here are some suggestions with mockups:
[attachment=6556:header-color.jpg]
Blue bar instead of a black bar seems more fitting to me.

[attachment=6559:suggestion.jpg]
I'm not really noticing the rating/stars at the moment, I think centring it makes it stand out more. Also saves some vertical space.
[attachment=6560:suggestion-result.jpg]

I also seem to be having a bug under Firefox 8.0 and 9.0.1, the menu has an additional black line when compared to Chrome.
Firefox:
[attachment=6558:firefox.jpg]
Chrome:
[attachment=6557:chrome.jpg]

Also, the favicon of the website is set to the Invision Power icon.

Hope that this helps and is worth trying out.

[Edit] Clicking on images no longer opens the overlay thingy it seems.

I use the FireFox browser and it has the feature of spell checking as you type. This feature is no longer working with the new site.

The new design and everything is realy great good job! But i have one complaint.. The page is sometimes loading pretty slowly.

I found this new version very cool [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] what's more it works perfectly; I really like the new avatar system, and the fact that there is no more the 'like/dislike' buttons in the loundge.
I always felt strange with the fact that we could bump easily (erroneously is my opinion) our reputation rate simply in casual talks that were not related at all with game developement, or telling jokes, and it intrinsically favored native english spoken people (at least people who can express very easily in english). I'll surely go more frequently in the loundge now [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Happy new year to the GameDev team and community !! And thank you [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Nico

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1325283751' post='4898269']
tl;dr: I'm lazy.
[/quote]
I'm going to add another reason. I'm just not seeing that some threads have multiple pages with the page links off to the side. I click on the thread name and end up at the first page of a multipage thread.

well if you've never visited a thread before wouldn't you want to start at the beginning anyway? And if you've already participated in a thread then you would either know already that it has multiple pages or you would jump to the newest post and not care about pages when revisiting anyway

Clicking on the the thread title doesn't jump to the newest post. It seems to always opens the first page even if the newest post is on the second page. And yes, I would very much like to just jump to the first unread post and not care about about pages when revisiting. Unfortunately, that's not what clicking on the thread title does.

I'll admit the first-unread post jump isn't intuitive [url="http://www.gamedev.net/forum-4/announcement-10-new-forum-features-and-site-help-topics/"]but it's there[/url].

Which would help more if that column also allowed you to open read threads. As it is, to open read threads you need to click the thread title or the page number, which means my mouse pointer is going all over the screen as I browse the forum. Again, this would be less of a problem if the page numbers were next to the thread title, or if the page numbers showed up for a single page thread or something a little more consistent.

This is all stuff you should really be taking directly to Invision, not us. I'm [i]not[/i] trying to foist off responsibility but any changes we make to improve UI stuff like this we will have to maintain through Invision's own versioning of the software and there's every chance we get this working tomorrow and then in 3 months Invision releases an IP.Board update that completely breaks it. This is unfortunately the reality of how the site is developed now that we no longer are working off our own custom codebase

On several occasions I get a warning bar from IE (8), on XP, that the browser changed the site to disallow cross site scripting. This seems to stem from some of the ads, which are then replaced by #s.

You might want to check in that, even if it's not a valid warning, it leaves a bad aftertaste. This did not happen in the old GameDev version.

Just happened, seems to appear with [code]http://ib.adnxs.com/if?enc=....[/code]

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325655768' post='4899493']
This is all stuff you should really be taking directly to Invision, not us.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm not really interested in keeping track of what aspects of the forum are due to gamedev's code and what are part of Invision's code. If I play Fallout: New Vegas and the program crashes due to problems in Gamebryo's engine, I still file the report with the developer of the game and not the developer of the engine. I don't care that it's not Obsidian's code that's crashing. This is still gamedev's site, so complaints get filed in your direction. What you do with it is your decision, but telling me to complain directly to Invision [b]is[/b] foisting off responsibility.

If you want us to take this issue to Invision we'll need to know this is something that more people would like to see than just you. I guess I should say that if you want to bypass convincing us that it's a worthwhile change you can instead approach Invision directly with the idea for them to consider. If you rally enough support over there and they make a change towards what you would like to see in a later update then when we update it'll be available here.

Take a breath guys - We can always look at how to improve the interface on our side since we definitely don't want things to be unintuitive.

Look, I don't think this is a big deal. Inconvenient, but a not a big deal. However, you guys asked for feedback, and I'm giving it to you. If you don't want to listen to me explaining why new aspects of the forum are suboptimal, then maybe you should take down that line at the top of the forum pages saying to leave comments in this forum. If you ask for it, [i]don't complain about getting it[/i].

We do appreciate the feedback and it has been very helpful. I know Drew was battling article stuff the better part of last night and he's frustrated with some aspects of the IPS software right now. We just have to fix what we can fix on our end and do the best we can with the rest. Having a third company party do the updates at least has allowed us to get more updates out there, but is requiring more adjustment on our part on how to best mold the software to our community and vice-versa.

Yes, I am frustrated right now (and cranky), but I'm not complaining! I'm trying to make it clear that you no longer have to rely solely on us for improvements to this site's software. That is all. This particular type of feedback can't be acted upon based on one person's opinion so I'm saying that you can either make the effort to convice us (with something like a petition or poll) or Invision to implement some changes, and that in my opinion it would be better to convince Invision since this is the type of modification I don't see as having to be unique to our site.

[edit]
Mike's been talking to me on Skype about this response and I realize I may still not have made myself clear. I'm not telling you to take your suggestions to Invision because I don't want to hear them. I'm telling you to take your suggestions (actually this particular issue - I am not referring to anything else you've submitted thus far) to Invision becuase I feel that's the better option for improving this software given both our own limited resources and the fact that we have to remain compliant with changes made to this software which means it's best if the company in charge of developing the software is the one that makes them. This is simply my rationale in responding as such to this particular issue.

I absolutely want to continue to hear your thoughts and suggestions and respond to them just as I have all your previous ones, and just as I have everyone elses.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding that led you to believe I was simply trying to get you to take your issues elsewhere because I was tired of hearing them.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325697864' post='4899641']
Yes, I am frustrated right now (and cranky), but I'm not complaining! I'm trying to make it clear that you no longer have to rely solely on us for improvements to this site's software. That is all. This particular type of feedback can't be acted upon based on one person's opinion so I'm saying that you can either make the effort to convice us (with something like a petition or poll) or Invision to implement some changes, and that in my opinion it would be better to convince Invision since this is the type of modification I don't see as having to be unique to our site.
[/quote]
Don't worry Gaiiden, I get what you're saying -- we can't rely on GD staff fixing stuff that isn't really custom to the site. Got it. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Well, while we are on the subject of complaining -- I hate the text editor. It keeps [i]jumping [/i]around as soon as I put [i]anything [/i]in cursive. Maybe it's just me? Anyways, huge annoyance -- definitely did [i]not [/i]happen in the old editor.

Also, I noticed Help Wanted is the only forum not linked to on the frontpage header -- deliberate or did you just ran out of space?

EDIT: Oh, I see. None of the "community interaction" forums are listed there. Well, that explains a bit.

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325699261' post='4899648']
Don't worry Gaiiden, I get what you're saying -- we can't rely on GD staff fixing stuff that isn't really custom to the site. Got it. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Well, while we are on the subject of complaining -- I hate the text editor. It keeps [i]jumping [/i]around as soon as I put [i]anything [/i]in cursive. Maybe it's just me? Anyways, huge annoyance -- definitely did [i]not [/i]happen in the old editor.
[/quote]

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic here or not based off my seemingly abrasive response to SiCrane but if you're serious about the text editor issue I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cursive". And what is "it"? The text cursor?

[quote]
Also, I noticed Help Wanted is the only forum not linked to on the frontpage header -- deliberate or did you just ran out of space?

EDIT: Oh, I see. None of the "community interaction" forums are listed there. Well, that explains a bit.
[/quote]

This was indeed deliberate. You'll notice the Affiliate subforums are also missing from the menus, however I have asked Mike to add NeHe and Angelcode to the Technical menu. We're unsure right now whether we'll be keeping up ties with Events for Gamers. In order to make up for "Community Interaction" forums having no real place in the menus, I've reshuffled the forum index to place them on top. They have no direct access because they are not considered "main" forums for the site. If the XNA workshop picks back up again I'd like to work in some direct access for that.

And to return to the specific Help Wanted issue, that forum will eventually be phased out to be replaced fully by the Classifieds system.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325700658' post='4899658']
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325699261' post='4899648']

[/quote]

I can't tell if you were being sarcastic here or not based off my seemingly abrasive response to SiCrane but if you're serious about the text editor issue I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cursive". And what is "it"? The text cursor?
[/quote]
[i]Italics[/i]. Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment there. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

The text cursor, yes. It jumps around if you put [i]anything [/i]in italics, write some words without italics, and then backspace. No clue as to [i]why [/i]or if this is just me -- but this is the second IP board that does it.
[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325700658' post='4899658']
[quote]

[/quote]

This was indeed deliberate. You'll notice the Affiliate subforums are also missing from the menus, however I have asked Mike to add NeHe and Angelcode to the Technical menu. We're unsure right now whether we'll be keeping up ties with Events for Gamers. In order to make up for "Community Interaction" forums having no real place in the menus, I've reshuffled the forum index to place them on top. They have no direct access because they are not considered "main" forums for the site. If the XNA workshop picks back up again I'd like to work in some direct access for that.

And to return to the specific Help Wanted issue, that forum will eventually be phased out to be replaced fully by the Classifieds system.
[/quote]
Good to know. Help Wanted is still a cluttered mess as-is, but that was always the case, so it's nice to hear that the Classifieds system is taking over. As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325702074' post='4899665']
The text cursor, yes. It jumps around if you put anything in italics, write some words without italics, and then backspace. No clue as to why or if this is just me -- but this is the second IP board that does it.
[/quote]

yes I know what you're talking about, but actually for me, here on this site the cursor actually behaves pretty well. Elsewhere, like when I edit my Wordpress blog, I sometimes can't even tell exactly where the cursor is most of the time. I've noticed this annoyance all over the place since FF7 or so. I think it's a Flash thing? Have you noticed your text cursor hopping around on other websites or just here on GDNet? It drives me bonkers wherever it happens.

[quote]
As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. Posted Image
[/quote]

It was indeed unfortunate JWalsh had to suspend the current XNA workshop. He got a new job at Microsoft and has been adjusting these last few months. He keeps saying he wants to pick it back up again and now that you remind me I'm due to give him another poke about it....