Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2012

Can the info about the thread: Started by, Forum Name be highlighted some other color than gray. It's hard to see. Plus I liked it when the that information was more in tablular format. Such as: Thread Name, Forum, Last Post Date/Last Poster. Much easier to read.

I'm referring to the New Content page, by the way.

All looking pretty good to me. Good to see comments viewable in journals on the mobile site now, good job.

One minor thing - on the mobile version I can't seem to see "My content"? It's not in the funky little grid menu thingy that I can pop up. Is this deliberate?

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325703084' post='4899667']
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325702074' post='4899665']
The text cursor, yes. It jumps around if you put anything in italics, write some words without italics, and then backspace. No clue as to why or if this is just me -- but this is the second IP board that does it.
[/quote]

yes I know what you're talking about, but actually for me, here on this site the cursor actually behaves pretty well. Elsewhere, like when I edit my Wordpress blog, I sometimes can't even tell exactly where the cursor is most of the time. I've noticed this annoyance all over the place since FF7 or so. I think it's a Flash thing? Have you noticed your text cursor hopping around on other websites or just here on GDNet? It drives me bonkers wherever it happens.
[/quote]
Just here on GD.net and another IP board -- think it's something with their newer version of the text editor. Wordpress does it too, but that seems to be completely out of whack (half the time it seems to just do whatever it pleases and jumps at random). As far as I can tell, here it mostly only happens if I use italics, and only if I try to edit text after using them -- so I guess I'll be fine if I avoid [i]them [/i]and type a bit slower. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.png[/img]
[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1325703084' post='4899667']
[quote]
As to the workshops, they used to be great -- but they sort of died a slow quiet death until no-one took notice anymore. Maybe someday there'll be more of them and, hopefully, they'll actually finish. Posted Image
[/quote]

It was indeed unfortunate JWalsh had to suspend the current XNA workshop. He got a new job at Microsoft and has been adjusting these last few months. He keeps saying he wants to pick it back up again and now that you remind me I'm due to give him another poke about it....
[/quote]
Sounds like a great idea, my only concern would that most of the participants just aren't there anymore. Make sure to post an announcement somewhere visible if JWalsh decides to pick it up as there are probably quite a few who just gave up on it after the posts stopped coming.

I see that Servant of the Lord is a Marketplace Seller (congrats by the way), however, I wanted to see what he has in the Marketplace and clicked on the title. To my dismay, nothing happened. It was just text. Is there anyway, for the title to be a link and go to the Marketplace and show the software he's selling? Or have some functionality similar to that near his name/avatar?

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325806557' post='4900164']
I see that Servant of the Lord is a Marketplace Seller (congrats by the way), however, I wanted to see what he has in the Marketplace and clicked on the title. To my dismay, nothing happened. It was just text. Is there anyway, for the title to be a link and go to the Marketplace and show the software he's selling? Or have some functionality similar to that near his name/avatar?
[/quote]

Hrmm.. I'm not sure how we'd pull that off to be honest. Right now it's just the group name he is in and it doesn't necessarily have a relationship with any particular spot on the site. I'd have to think about how I'd pull this off.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325774329' post='4899944']
Can the info about the thread: Started by, Forum Name be highlighted some other color than gray. It's hard to see. Plus I liked it when the that information was more in tablular format. Such as: Thread Name, Forum, Last Post Date/Last Poster. Much easier to read.

I'm referring to the New Content page, by the way.
[/quote]
Any thoughts on this request, Mike?

Well the title doesn't have to be a link. It could be any other link near his name. It would just be nice if sellers had one.

Another thing, why isn't there a "Want to be GDNet Marketplace Seller? Click Here to Find Out How." link on the Marketplace page?

One last thing, new, highly rated, or most sold items in the Marketplace should show on the front page.

Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post. What was that? It was pretty cool to see. Too bad I didn't get a chance to click.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325984927' post='4900498']
Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post. What was that? It was pretty cool to see. Too bad I didn't get a chance to click.
[/quote]

If someone posts to a topic while you are still typing your own reply you can click that link and it will load it off our server so you can see it. I like the idea of the "Want to be a GDNet Marketplace Seller?" link. Also exposing more items in the topics is also going to be pretty important as well. I just want our members to have a fair shot of selling their wares.. especially when I know they put a lot of work into them to produce them and we have so many high quality products.

I did something with your request btw but I lost it due to the server crash.. (along with everything else I did to the site Thursday)

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325984927' post='4900498']
Completely different topic. I just saw something pop-up saying something like "1 reply added". Then it faded away while I was typing this post
[/quote]

It faded away? That's not good I would think it should stay there until you click on it or make your post. I [i]thought[/i] I saw that this feature would be included in the new board update but I hadn't seen it yet. This is probably why - I'm too focused on my reply window at the [i]bottom[/i] of the screen to notice a small one-line box fade in at the [i]top[/i]. It should really come up right above this quick reply box

Yeah, I was/am using Chrome. But thinking about it, I saw it working, seemingly correctly, before the crash, so maybe a change reverted something?

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1326046086' post='4900693']
How do I add new tags?
[/quote]

Hang tight, we now have a way to manage tags much better and will be starting open tagging this week

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1326046162' post='4900694']
so maybe a change reverted something?
[/quote]

Perhaps. I did see it pop up once earlier and it behaved like Alpha_ProgDes mentioned for me as well - up at the top and then faded out.

One more thing [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

There used to be a little ? off to the upper-right corner (basically a Help Menu for the Reply section) that showed how to use tags and showed things like <Code="csharp"> and so forth. Where did that go?

Gaiiden, since you didn't respond to my other question, I take it that the Code tag doesn't support Scheme/Lisp keyword highlighting. :(

Something I'd like to point out: the term classifieds, for me as a non-native speaker, did not ring a bell. The reason I checked it out is that I browsed all sections after the revision. I'm not sure how many people actually know this term or think to know it. I associated it with classified at first, which is something completely different. I realize it's more elegant than Jobs & Recruitment or something along those lines, but I think it's not clear enough.

[quote name='Mussi' timestamp='1326070580' post='4900803']
I realize it's more elegant than Jobs & Recruitment or something along those lines, but I think it's not clear enough.
[/quote]

Any suggestions? We were drawing blanks on alternatives - here in the states we call em classified ads.

[url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/618127-how-to-make-games-for-the-absolute-beginnner/page__fromsearch__1"]http://www.gamedev.net/topic/618127-how-to-make-games-for-the-absolute-beginnner/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I see the Promote to Article button. I was hoping that it would send a flag to Gaiiden, or whoever is in charge of the articles now, to consider this post (or in this case the content in the link) an article. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a way to have such functionality in the forums? I surely didn't want to make wildbunny's article a GDNet article without his permission :)

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1325806557' post='4900164']
[/quote]
Thanks - I've been a seller for several months now, selling tileart. It'd be very nice to have 'Marketplace seller' be a link to my stuff.
Currently, if you hover over my username, and click 'Find content', it brings you to [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=89462"]this page[/url], where on the left-hand bar ("By content type") you can click 'Downloads' and see [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=89462&userMode=all&sid=20eeb79cdb612ba4750647300966b532"]this page[/url].

Alternatively, on my profile page on the left-hand side, you can click 'Files'. and see them.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1326046911' post='4900703']
There used to be a little ? off to the upper-right corner (basically a Help Menu for the Reply section) that showed how to use tags and showed things like and so forth. Where did that go?
[/quote]

You're right that's gone. I never used it much so I didn't even notice. I have no idea why it's not there anymore I mean I [i]did[/i] use it on occasion...

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1326046911' post='4900703']
Gaiiden, since you didn't respond to my other question, I take it that the Code tag doesn't support Scheme/Lisp keyword highlighting. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]
[/quote]

Sorry I was hoping Mike would answer that. I honestly don't know but AFAIK the Code tag doesn't support any syntax highlighting but the Source tag does. There's a list of support languages Mike made a link to it somewhere either here on the forums or in his journal or the staff journal. Try a search.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1326134127' post='4901008']
I see the Promote to Article button. I was hoping that it would send a flag to Gaiiden, or whoever is in charge of the articles now, to consider this post (or in this case the content in the link) an article. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a way to have such functionality in the forums? I surely didn't want to make wildbunny's article a GDNet article without his permission [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
[/quote]

Well it will make it into an article but I will still have to approve it as such before it becomes visible. So you can go ahead and use the button without worrying about the article popping up without the user's permission as I will contact the author when I see a new article in the queue waiting for approval. However two problems we'll need to tackle is that I don't get notified when a new article is submitted (already told Mike about this) and I won't know it was you who submitted the article not the author himself. At least I don't think so, which could cause a bit of confusion when I initially contact them.

Go ahead and use the button. Then post here when you've done so and I'll check the article DB and see how it shows up.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1326138813' post='4901044']
There needs to be a "hey n00b, here's how you use the site" page. I wouldn't even have thought hovering or even clicking on your username. I've never had to before on the old site. Boolean's quote (which is in my signature) had it right, lol.
[/quote]

We're working on [url="http://www.gamedev.net/getstarted.html"]this page[/url] which you can get to from the Home page. I don't think the Help Topics even has anything about the name cards though. There's a lot here I will admit I stumbled upon, like the Go To Last Post shortcut. I don't think IPS has ever had a real difinitive guide to every little feature around. For example there's nothing in the Help Topics on posting that mentions the Autosave feature. And there's nothing that mentions tagging either.

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1326077516' post='4900831']
Any suggestions? We were drawing blanks on alternatives - here in the states we call em classified ads.
[/quote]
That's a tough one, maybe others could jump in? I do think that something like Jobs & Recruitment would be better, even though it's not very elegant.