What's a good, free/cheap effect/.fx file editor?

Started by
12 comments, last by Narf the Mouse 12 years, 3 months ago
NVidia FX composer has the downside of only supporting up to DirectX10 and Shader Model 3.0.

I'm looking for, primarily, something that tells me the line numbers and types of the errors, has an IDE and allows me to target a particular version of DirectX and/or shader model, and that supports up to DirectX11/shader model 5.0. Anything more than that is bonus, but not needed.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Notepad++ with HLSL syntax hilighting is great for editing.

FXC.exe for compile-time errors.

Not an IDE but those two take care of all your requirements.
I second Notepad++ with a HLSL syntax plugin (it doesn't have it out of the box iirc), works wonders.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Notepad++ with HLSL syntax hilighting is great for editing.

FXC.exe for compile-time errors.

Not an IDE but those two take care of all your requirements.

Thanks. However, I don't like the borg-like nature of the GPL; is there another option?
Well, the GPL only applies if you want to use the source code for something. If you are just using npp for editing files, those files don't automatically get gpl'd. That would be scary ohmy.png

Well, the GPL only applies if you want to use the source code for something. If you are just using npp for editing files, those files don't automatically get gpl'd. That would be scary ohmy.png

That would be VERY scary.

Personally, I use NShader directly inside of Visual Studio:

http://nshader.codeplex.com/

I'm wondering...the next version of VS is essentially going to have PIX inside it...wonder if it'll actually have true "IDE" support for writing shaders?

True, but I still don't like it. :)

[quote name='turch' timestamp='1325187453' post='4897889']

That would be VERY scary.

Personally, I use NShader directly inside of Visual Studio:

http://nshader.codeplex.com/

I'm wondering...the next version of VS is essentially going to have PIX inside it...wonder if it'll actually have true "IDE" support for writing shaders?
[/quote]
Thanks, but I only have Express.
I like using AMD's GPU ShaderAnalyzer. It compiles for several types of shader models, and also produces assembly code made for different graphics cards. Being an AMD product, these code outputs are for AMD/ATI cards only, but you don't need AMD hardware to use the editor.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development

I like using AMD's GPU ShaderAnalyzer. It compiles for several types of shader models, and also produces assembly code made for different graphics cards. Being an AMD product, these code outputs are for AMD/ATI cards only, but you don't need AMD hardware to use the editor.

Thanks; downloaded, will post more later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement