• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hupsilardee

[D3D11] Crashing

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody.
Recently I decided it was time to move on from D3D9, and start having fun with my D3D11 graphics card (which is a Radeon HD 6670), so I started with the triangle tutorials and went from there.

However, sometimes when I make a mistake programming, the display crashes completely, for example, one time it happened when I put a bad argument into D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(). I am pretty sure it is the graphics card driver completely locking up, because Itunes continues merrily on in the background, which makes me think that the rest of the system is fine. Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work, and the mouse cursor stops animating.

I tried updating graphics drivers, but now the problem has just happened again with the new driver, so I came here for help. What can I do to stop this crashing ever happening, or if it does happen, what can I do to 'reset' the graphics card or its driver? All I can do at the moment is unplug from the wall and restart, for which my computer cannot be too happy with me.

Advertisement
Are you on Windows7? I've at least seen it reset the graphics driver on its own when it's detected a problem.

If there are bugs in the driver that cause it to crash, it can very well cause problems on your system.

It's likely that you're passing invalid arguments into these functions. D3D has a debug mode that you can use to try and detect these issues. You can turn it on via the DX control panel

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!