• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Narf the Mouse

Looking for - Minimum necessary DirectX10/11 (SlimDX?) startup

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

DirectX9 (SlimDX, but close enough I can read one from the other) setup is fairly straight-forward and it's what I know. However, it's about time I took advantage of this Windows 7 I've had for a few months - What's a minimum set of code to set up DirectX 10 and 11? - In SlimDX preferably, but as stated, not necessary.

By "set up", I mean, get it to such a state that I could put a black triangle on a blue screen.

Thanks.

Advertisement
The SlimDX guys have a (brief) set of Tutorials using D3D11 on their site that explains basic window/device setup and getting a triangle drawn:

http://slimdx.org/tutorials.php

The SlimDX guys have a (brief) set of Tutorials using D3D11 on their site that explains basic window/device setup and getting a triangle drawn:

http://slimdx.org/tutorials.php

I'll take a longer look at it later, but looks good so far. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if my graphics card supports DX11 - I know it supports DX10.

Well you can use the D3D11 feature levels, feature (heh). If not, setup isn't that different in D3D10 (still using the same DXGI objects). The largest difference with respect to those tutorials would be using DeviceContext to make the D3D calls, rather than Device.

Well you can use the D3D11 feature levels, feature (heh). If not, setup isn't that different in D3D10 (still using the same DXGI objects). The largest difference with respect to those tutorials would be using DeviceContext to make the D3D calls, rather than Device.

Thanks, good to know.

"Feature levels" - That's using DirectX11, but with only the DirectX10 features? (In this specific case)

Alright, just went through the tutorials. Somewhat more complex than DX9, but still not very complex. I see I'm going to have to write my own Mesh code. :)

My next question is, how does the multi-threading DeviceContext work? Either I missed it, or all the obvious things I could think of don't cover it. That is, how to get it to merge everything and draw.

Thanks.

Also, looks like I'm going to have to write literally everything in the graphics pipeline myself - Including vertex data blending for the pixel shader.

How does that work?

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!