OpenAL & ADPCM (Windows)

Started by
0 comments, last by Fredrik Elmegren 12 years, 3 months ago

Hey!

Right, I'm having a hard time finding out whether OpenAL supports playing ADPCM-compressed .wav or not in a windows environment.

So, before I go experimenting, does anyone know if OpenAL (in windows) can decode ADPCM on the fly or would I first need to decode the sound and then send it to OpenAL?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Freddy

Advertisement
In general (that is, as core functionality), no. However, there some extensions such as AL_EXT_IMA4 or AL_LOKI_IMA_ADPCM_format.

Like most things in OpenAL which are not in the core spec, OpenAL-Soft is pretty much the only one to support them (and like always without any documentation), and that's pretty much it. Though your mileage may vary.

Thank you for your reply! Very much appreciated smile.png

Alright, a follow up then:
This being the case, could (should even?) I then decode the ADPCM sound to PCM (using eg. ACM

) and then send it to OpenAL? (I'm working with an existing environment/engine and would prefer not having ro rebuild the whole shebang (it's huuuge!))

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Freddy

If building OpenAL-Soft and bundling the lib is no forbidding hurdle (if you use MinGW, CMAKE can turn out being a real bitch), I'd just do that. OpenAL-Soft is the best available implementation in my opinion, with several formats, several other useful extensions (loop points, sub buffer) and very few nonsensical limitations as opposed to other implementations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement