• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
justin12343

Left hand coordinates with right hand rotations?

This topic is 2537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm porting out a engine from a program called Game Maker. It uses left handed coordinates and right handed rotations and that has become a problem. I use a left handed coordinate system so rotations are backwards. I tried setting z to -1 which works but then my camera draws every thing backwards (unless I shouldn't be setting the view matrix as the world matrix in d3dxsprite). So how do I implement this?

PS:
I us D3DXMatrixTransformation2D to handle the rotation and translations, so would that mean I would have to build my own rotation matrix?

Advertisement
After hours of research on how transformations work, I found that I an going to have to break down the D3DXMatrixTransformation2D function, which is just makes a call to D3DXMatrixTransformation (and does some other simple calculations). So I came up with this:

//Method #1
D3DXMATRIX rotation;
D3DXMatrixIdentity( &rotation);

float c = cos(degtorad(angle));
float s = sin(degtorad(angle));

rotation._11 = c; rotation._12 = -s; rotation._13 = 0; rotation._14 = 0;
rotation._21 = s; rotation._22 = c; rotation._23 = 0; rotation._24 = 0;
rotation._31 = 0; rotation._32 = 0; rotation._33 = 1; rotation._34 = 0;
rotation._41 = 0; rotation._42 = 0; rotation._43 = 0; rotation._44 = 1;

It rotates counter-clockwise, but not at a center point. My sprite orbits the origin (0, 0) an passes through the point where it's supposed to draw at. I was able to move the origin using a conjugation method, but it this time it rotated at the corner on the center point.

So I came up with this after more research:

//Method #2
D3DXMATRIX rotation;
D3DXMatrixIdentity( &rotation);

D3DXVECTOR3 v;
D3DXVec3Normalize( &v, &D3DXVECTOR3( CenterPointX, CenterPointY, 1));

float s = sin(degtorad(angle));
float t = 1.0f - c;

rotation._11 = (t*(v.x*v.x))+c; rotation._12 = (t*v.x*v.y)-(s*v.z); rotation._13 = (t*v.x*v.z)+(s*v.y); rotation._14 = 0;
rotation._21 = (t*v.x*v.y)+(s*v.z); rotation._22 = (t*(v.y*v.y))+c; rotation._23 = (t*v.y*v.z)-(s*v.x); rotation._24 = 0;
rotation._31 = (t*v.x*v.z)-(s*v.y); rotation._32 = (t*v.y*v.z)+(s*v.x); rotation._33 = (t*(v.z*v.z))+c; rotation._34 = 0;
rotation._41 = 0; rotation._42 = 0; rotation._43 = 0; rotation._44 = 1;

Now it rotates around the center point, but it also seems to rotate around each axis. I only need it to rotate on the Z-Axis.

Can anyone help me with this?

sources:
http://mathforum.org...view/69806.html
http://msdn.microsof...v=VS.85%29.aspx
http://wine.sourcear..._8c-source.html
http://www.fastgraph...mes/3drotation/

One thing you can do, is just use the inverse of the angle. So instead of this:

you could just do this:

float c = cos(degtorad(-angle));

Wherever you call a function with the angle of rotation, just put a minus sign in front of it

If your using

D3DXMatrixTransformation2D, instead of passing the regular angle to the function, pass -angle

One thing you can do, is just use the inverse of the angle. So instead of this:

you could just do this:

float c = cos(degtorad(-angle));

Wherever you call a function with the angle of rotation, just put a minus sign in front of it

If your using

D3DXMatrixTransformation2D, instead of passing the regular angle to the function, pass -angle

**face palm**

That also works! thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!