• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
viper110110

OpenGL ES on Android - Tutorials?

This topic is 2542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to get started with my adroid phone wanting to make some sort of a game. I am coming from c# and XNA and obviously openGL is much lower level. What I am looking for is some sort of tutorial that could help me get started maybe up to the point where I can move a picture around the screen or draw a basic 3D model. I have gotten android's hello triangle to work but I have no idea where to go from there.

Advertisement
The items on the Android site were comprehensive enough in my opinion. Is there something specific you thought needed to be covered but was missing?

They aren't exactly "intro to OpenGL" material, but there are several thousands of those out there on the net already.

It is far easier to learn how to program it on a regular PC and then apply that knowledge to the handheld. Learning handheld + OpenGL + ES specifics is an awfully large leap at a single time.

I already know some of the handheld stuff because I took a course that touched on iPhone and android development, but it never covered anything that could be used for games. I also figured OpenGL ES was just a subset of opengl and wouldnt be too much of a challenge to learn as one package.

I guess what I am looking for is how to draw my character for the first time on the screen and move him around

No, it is not a subset, they are slightly diverged.

There is a book, "OpenGL ES Programming Guide", that probably covers what you need. It begins with a basic triangle on screen, and works its way up through framebuffer objects. It assumes you are already comfortable with programming in general and with C++ specifically.

There are other resources to learn it on the Khronos site, but again it assumes a prerequisite of advanced programming skills as well as math including linear algebra.

Writing your own rendering engine from scratch, something that can draw articulated models with shaders and takes artist-friendly formats such as collada files, that is a big undertaking. Often the tools and external manipulation programs end up being larger than the graphics engine itself. It is fine to do that sort of thing if you want to learn it, just be aware of the mantra "make games not engines". You need a lot of advanced math, advanced programming skill, and a lot of time to make a rock-solid 3D rendering engine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!