Getting an iPhone app converted to Android

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 3 months ago
Hey all,
recently, I tried to get a simple one-screen puzzle game for iphone converted to android through elance.
The original game took me about two weeks including making the graphics.

On elance, the conversion took a month, and quality of the resulting app was still really terrible so I had to cut my losses and quit. I thought making a game look exactly like the iphone version would be straightforward, but apparently it is not. Problems included button/text sizing being totally off on most devices, frequent crashes, and the fact that you can see the screen being drawn one chunk at a time.

After this experience, I can't afford to spend any more money on converting the game without knowing that the android coder is up to the job. Has anyone had experience with a similar conversion that resulted in a high-quality app? Any recommendations for elance coders? If the first conversion worked out, we would want to convert several others....

Thanks,
(long-time lurker) Brian
Advertisement
Hi Brian,
Too bad you got a poor developer to port your game for you. If you spent all your money already, I don't now what to tell you. Sounds like that developer isn't capable of fixing the app, and I suppose it would be difficult to get him to give your money back.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Any recommendations for elance coders?[/quote]

[/font]

Maybe you should look beyond elance. Go to game development conferences and networking events, look for other Android developers. Always check their references before hiring someone.

[/font]

I'm thinking this is a Production/Mgt. question rather than a mobile/dev question. Might want to move this to the new Production/Mgt. forum...

[/font]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi Tom,
thanks for the reply, and sorry for picking the wrong forum.

I am not concerned about getting my money back, but mainly hesitant to start anew with another developer without some method of vetting him/her. Your advice on attending games conferences is a good one.

Brian
The way to vet a developer is to look at what other games he's developed, and talk with people with whom he developed previous projects.
Ask him for links and phone numbers, then do your research.
I will move this to Prod/Mgt now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement