• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lightwarrior179

Newbie -- How to Get Started?

This topic is 2541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As someone planning to create my own game,I'd like to know what would be the best way to get started.
In terms of learning and output. Time isn't a restraint but as a beginner I'd naturally like to see some results to keep me motivated.

It all started with an idea that has translated into a rough design document that requires a 2D engine. I've researched a bit and think XNA is the best fit for me. It's free and supports features I would want.

I am familiar with C++,JAVA and Python, so I reckon I've got the basics of programming side covered and it will atleast get me somewhere considering XNA runs on a variant of C# or something of that sort.

Not too acquainted with the visual side of things sadly.
What programs would you recommend I use and learn for sprites,animations and 2D textures?

I'd be grateful for any other advice you might have.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
For graphics, you can get started with one of these 3D graphic applications, where you then render your 3D model to a 2D sprite sheet. On a budget, I would highly recommend WIngs3D, its a great and incredibly focused 3D modeller. I did an introductory video on using WIngs3D that should get you started. Once you have the basics down, modelling is pretty consistent across applications.

On top, for 2D, there are a number of options. Photoshop is the industry standard, but expensive. On the free side there are The Gimp, Paint.NET, Inkscape and others. This Inkscape game art tutorial is a very good place to start if you are going to use 2D instead of 3. Inkscape is a very capable vector art program, but at times it can be a bit wonky. It is however free... which is always nice.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!