• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
howie_007

framerate stuck on Alienware laptop at 80-85 fps

This topic is 2396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have this Alienware laptop with duel ATI 5870 1 gig cards and beefy intel processor. This laptop can play today's games. I'm playing "Skyrim" with minor tweaks to the video. I'm telling you this so that you don't discredit the laptop.

Been developing my home brew game engine on my crappy desktop and this laptop. My desktop can't be used to play anything but very simple games (GeForce 9600 GSO).

In my engine's template game (an environment for adding and testing new features), on my crappy desktop with just a few simple polygons, I can get upwards of 800+ fps. And the more I add or remove, the framerate will go up or down. Does what you would expect it to do.

On the laptop, no matter the amount of polygons, the framerate stays the same. This thing should break 1000+ fps. There's also a hitching feel as I move around in it. The monitors refresh rate is 60 Hertz so why the framerate is stuck at about 85 fps is beyond me.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some DirectX setting that I'm unaware of that is at it's default setting, causing this odd behavior. I'm concerned because when I do make a game, wouldn't want this problem on other laptops.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
nope. Click the below link and you'll see the Alienware M17 R2 that I have. Scroll down and you'll see the specs.
http://www.tomshardw...sfire,2744.html

The difference between the reviewed laptop and mine is mine is black, has 6 gigs ram instead of 4 and has the intel i7-820QM CPU. The speed difference between the i7-820QM and the i7-920XM didn't justify the extra cost.

I had a similar problem a long time ago (with other hardware) and the fix was to not use DirectX's default texture filtering. At the time I didn't really care what the render looked like because I was setting up other features. I solved that problem by setting linear filtering or anisotropic. This obviously is not the case here.

I'm concerned about this because I'm not doing anything fancy or specific to any one video card, just DirectX 9 features. Why it's reacting differently on this laptop vs the 3 very different desktops I have here.

I tried many tests and nothing seems to make a difference. Perhaps the drivers for the duel ATI's are expecting something. That's the one main difference between the laptop and the 3 other desktops I have.

I just found the problem and it's the oddest thing so I thought I'd update this thread.

The Alienware M17 R2 has a theme to make the windows interface look all alien like. This is a separate program that runs at start-up that goes beyond the standard Windows theme features. Lately this installed theme has been causing interface problem with other programs so I uninstalled it. All the other problems went away.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!