• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tropical

Guide me the right way

This topic is 2535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! I'm new here and i just joined today, Well i heard alot about this site and cared to take a look at it, And still loving it, loving all the help here, unfortunately, i'm in need of help to, So all the care helpers out there! Guide me the right way...
Lets start like this, I love Programming!, Iv'e always wanted to be a game programmer, Since when i was 13.. I loved games, wondered how they were made and was so interested about, As like everyone, I was not blessed with a computer, i hardly went to websites and learnt things, Ive also done some portraits, and i have a subtle interest in drawing..
Right now, I am 15 years old.. I know its too young, But ive been programming about for 7 months in C++ and i have started learning making 2D games, Thats not the fact, I'm practicing hard, to be honest, im totally on it.. But something always strikes in my mind.
Let me list them below.
Is it too young to think about the job?
Is there any guarentee i will get a job in future, if i work hard?
Im so comitted, 100%. But i always fear about it, Sometimes it becomes worse, However i think its too young to feel about it..
Well if your still reading also help me in this
What bachelor's degree is been wanted in Game development because, soon i might be joining em.
Should i go on extra classes for game development like (Artificial Intelligence) or something like that etc.
(I think im stressing too much).
I know it aint easy, But i just cant take it easy.
Someone, Please help me
Thanks alot!

Advertisement
You usually need a computer science degree to get your foot in the door, such as a four year B.A in Computer Science. You will be asked to preform tests during your interview process, so you should always be ready. Also, after your four years of school is done, you will always be teaching yourself new languages and how to use new tools. Being a programmer is a forever changing field, and highly competitive.

I cannot answer if you will get a job as a Game Programmer right out of school. Most ads I've seen required that you've worked on a few titles, some being high end. You will also need experience outside of school, and a paper trail showing your completed projects.

I suggest you build a big portfolio, and learn as much as you can in several fields of game development, including different languages.

One of the best articles I've ever found on getting into the Game Industry:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

I wish you the best!

No, it is exactly the time. It depends on your education system of course, but about 15-16 is when you start having to pick your course load for your university choices. Load up on the maths and physics and you will be fine.

No. Life has no guarantees for anything.

What bachelor's degree is been wanted in Game development because, soon i might be joining em.
Depends what track you are going. If you want to be a game programmer, get a CS degree. A masters is most likely a waste of time.

Should i go on extra classes for game development like (Artificial Intelligence) or something like that etc.
Yeah, you are worrying too much.

If you pursue a Computer Science degree, you'll probably take that course anyway. You'll take some courses that you can apply directly to game programming, and the majority will be courses that you can apply to ANY field of programming. Game, application, enterprise, mobile: it's all just programming. Do a lot of it.

More importantly, if you want to be a game programmer, write games. When your classmates are just doing the minimal work to get the degree, be that guy getting the assignments done during the week, and then spending his entire weekend working on a school-unrelated game project. If you can graduate with a full degree AND have a portfolio of games (or just one really good one) to show off as well, you'll be much more marketable to your desired field.

I agree with the other posters but maybe a couple of extra pennies worth:

Nope, perfect time. However also consider that yourself now and yourself in 5 years time will likely look, feel and think quite differently!

I would say that although as Serapth says there are no guarantees in life it is definitely the case that the most successful people generally work hard - you should too in whatever you do. It isn't all about working hard though, it is also important to get involved in the field, get to know people. There are lots of indie gaming groups and special interest groups around, hopefully there is a group or club near you or in your region that you could join.

As mentioned above, for programmer jobs you could do Maths, Computer Science or Software Engineering - there are also specific Game Development degrees nowadays that might be worth having a look. It DEFINITELY isn't too early to be planning your degree - find out which colleges/universities are best in your chosen field and which seem to fit your personality and interests best. The entry requirements are usually listed on their websites - that help will you decide what to concentrate on for the next few years.

Actually I might be tempted to say if you were going to go for extra classes (whether in school or evening classes) then if you can fit them in try creative writing, drawing, business skills, team leading, project management and marketing. As you're young and have lots of free time now is an ideal time to expose yourself to lots of different areas of game development and those are major components of the business!

If you want to break into games development then definitely start making games *now*, start small and complete a few, maybe find a friend to do some artwork if you can't, distribute them to your friends and see what they think - get yourself known smile.png

Hope that helps!

I was about 5 when I saw a commercial for a technical school that listed computer programming as one of it's courses. From that time on, I was completely hooked on the idea of commanding a machine to do my bidding and managed to talk my family into chipping in for a computer when I was 7. Really, why would you ever think any time is too early to start thinking about what you're going to be stuck doing for the rest of your life?

Well, from what you've said so far, let's just say your chances of handling insurance claims has been significantly reduced. ;-)

Even though I always wanted to be a game developer as a kid, after college I chose not to. Instead I got into software and later web. The video game industry is highly competitive and not very fun. You tend to have to move around a lot, work long hours, etc. Web development, on the other hand, tends to be a lot of scripters and, having a strong background in software development puts me ahead of the game. So, I set my own hours, get to live in one spot, etc. My point is, there are no guarantees, but challenging yourself with something as complex as game development could leave you open to more opportunities later on.

If programming is your chosen career track, go for computer science. This will give you a well-rounded education but also teach you a lot of the low-level details that will help you greatly improve as a programmer. I deal with a lot of web developers and it blows my mind when someone can't figure out why their if block doesn't work as expected because they don't understand the binary logic behind the operators they're using. Don't be that guy! =)

What JamieC said. Knowing some of these things could really help you later on in communicating with technical writers, artists, suits, managers and advertising people, if not help you directly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!