• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
viciousdjoker

Trying to get a better understanding of trig.

This topic is 2541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am totally lost, with trigonometry at the moment. I understand about 60 - 70% of what i am using. However when i try to apply the knowledge to a computer game using a formula like f(t,r)=a*sin(br+yt)/t(r+1)^d , what does sine even do. I would be greatful if some one could point me in the right direction.

Advertisement
Well, I am not sure what the origin of the equation you gave is, but my first guess is that the sine function is being used in it because it is a periodic function.

http://www.khanacademy.org/ - 2,600 video tutorials, much of them on math, most done by the same guy.

A very useful resource that helped me pass precalculus last semester with an a+. The site actually made me love mathmatics.

Well, I am not sure what the origin of the equation you gave is, but my first guess is that the sine function is being used in it because it is a periodic function.

I asked a friend about it he told me it is a wave function used to determine how much time has elapsed, and r is equal to the distance of the wave. It is way above my level of knowledge of mathematics. I heard it was like calculus semester 2 which i haven't reached yet. So I am going to back off of game development until i have gotten a better understanding of calculus and how these formulas work. So that i can apply them easier within my code. Thanks for the help. I hope that when i have gotten a better understanding of this math i will be able to help people out also.

Have you tried graphing the functions out? Sometimes seeing something graphically makes it easier to understand.

Sine is a bizarre thing to grasp because it's used in many different ways. I couldn't learn it in school and struggled to understand, but seemed to have no problem teaching it to myself when I wanted to know how to triangulate radio sources. You just need to find the right way of looking at it.

If youre trying to calculate distances or specifc angles, then Sine is the ratio of the lengths between two specific sides of a right angle triangle. Sine(angle) = opposite length/hypotenuse length. In other words, how angle, height, and overall distance are related.

If you're trying to make a smooth wave, then sine is a smooth periodic amplitude function. Try graphing y = sine(x) where x is a value between 0 and 6.28.

Of course they are the same thing, but maybe looking at it one or the other will help.

Good luck!

The equation you posted looks mistyped. Are you missing a multiplication? Or is T a function?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!