• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shonumi

Mass Blaster! - Dual Ship Shoot'em Up

This topic is 2481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

thumb.png thumb.png thumb.png thumb.png

http://sourceforge.n...ts/massblaster/ - Mass Blaster @ SourceForge

Well, I finally finished my very first game. It's been two years in the making, delayed because of schooling. I did everything myself (game design, coding, composing, art, sfx)

If you're looking for a short, challenging space shooter, look no further than Mass Blaster! The twist here is that you have to control two ships at the same time. You don't take damage either; instead, you need to focus on accuracy and eliminate a certain amount of enemies to advance. At only 10 levels, it's a quickie, but hopefully the action will remain intense, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

The code is GPL'ed and all graphics and sound are covered under the CC BY-NC 3.0, so feel free to reuse anything. Not much for a first project, but at least I managed to finish something. It's available for Windows & Linux, so tell me what you think.

Advertisement
Challenging is right! It took me a bit to get use to using two ships, but I really think you have a great concept going on here! I suggest adding more, maybe even adding different types of ships, ammo upgrades, and more features.

You could have one ship you selected that can move super fast, but has a low damage rating, or a slow one with massive damage rating. I can honestly see a lot you can do with this concept!

Great job!

The only thing I found annoying was the music at times.

Thanks for your response, and I'm glad you liked it. I agree, lol, the music isn't anything special. I'm a writer/programmer, not a musician. I wanted to gain some experience in areas outside my expertise. Thankfully, the music can be muted by pressing the M key :P

Great advice by the way. I like the sound of those ideas. I definitely want to expand it, but looking at the code, I kinda feel it should be rewritten to incorporate those new features. At any rate, I'm planning to make a more full-fledged sequel sometime down the road, Mass Blaster: Revenge! or something like that.

Hey everyone, got a new update! Mass Blaster 1.1.0 now supports joysticks for axes and buttons (still working on getting hats to play nicely). Joystick input can be configured from the new Settings screen. Along with a bug fix, the code has been cleaned up for those interested in the source. Also, if you haven't noticed already, there's a port for Dingux if you happen to own a Dingoo A320. More updates to come in the following months; expect larger content to show up soon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!