• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JackBob

Tracking and applying that to rotation to follow what I want tracked

This topic is 2535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this is silly and been asked on here 500 million times. Only I couldn't find any of those times so I figured I would make a topic while thinking on this

I got a turret that needs to constantly rotate to a target

My tracking and rotation seems to be way off
this is what i'm trying so far. I'm actually trying just to get it to track on the x axis right now then when I get it working put it to the Y axis as well

[source]

distance = sqrt((float)(pow(position.x - target.x, 2)+pow(position.z-target.z, 2)));
xChange = asin((position.x - target.x)/distance);
yChange = sin(target.y - position.y);
D3DXQUATERNION y;
if(oldXChange!=xChange)
{
D3DXQuaternionRotationAxis(&y, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f , 0.0f), xChange);//*(D3DX_PI/180)); // main rotation for the gun
gunRotation = y * gunRotation;
}
oldXChange = xChange;
[/source]

2 issues i'm having here. Fixing one might fix the other
1. if I move the turret position it actually just spins around and around rather than attempting to track to the target
2. obviously its not tracking.

another thing, I shouldn't have to convert from degrees to radians or vice versa right? it should all be in radians correct?

Any ideas on what the crap I'm doing wrong?
C++ directx9 btw

Thanks for anything you might be able to help me with

Advertisement
The asin function does return angles in radians, but there are a few things that I find a bit questionable:

1. Why are you casting pow(position.x - target.x, 2)+pow(position.z-target.z, 2) to a float?
  2. Shouldn't your distance calculation involve a y component also?
  3. If you want to rotate around the x-axis, shouldn't you have D3DXVECTOR3(1.0f, 0.0f , 0.0f) instead of D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f)?

I hope that helps you, although it is a bit unclear what exactly you are trying to do.

Hi,

I've attached a simple Turret class, which shows how I would go about solving this problem. It does not use any 3rd party libraries so you should have no trouble adding it to your game.

-Josh

The asin function does return angles in radians, but there are a few things that I find a bit questionable:

1. Why are you casting pow(position.x - target.x, 2)+pow(position.z-target.z, 2) to a float?
  2. Shouldn't your distance calculation involve a y component also?
  3. If you want to rotate around the x-axis, shouldn't you have D3DXVECTOR3(1.0f, 0.0f , 0.0f) instead of D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f)?

I hope that helps you, although it is a bit unclear what exactly you are trying to do.

1. it was just there from previous tries and I was going to eventually get it out of there

2. Well its a 3d game. so in order to get the rotation on the x plane I am just using X and Z coordinates. And when I want it to move up and down I'll use Y and X

3. and no, in a quaternion rotation in order to get to turn left or right you have to use the Y component that way it rotates around the Y axis

I'm hoping this helps clear things up. Probably not

and I don't have anything to open a .tar.gz right now since I'm just quickly on my way and i'm not sure if thats for 2d or 3d.
I've been able to do it in a 2d game before like 4 years ago but this time I think its the rotations screwing me up big time

Anyhow thanks for the replies
does asin return in degrees then?

As I said, asin returns in radians. Now something else I noticed is that you don't set the gunRotation to the quaternion you made, but rather multiplied it, so I believe that if the angle was anything other than 0 this would cause the turret to always rotate.

Hi,

I've attached a simple Turret class, which shows how I would go about solving this problem. It does not use any 3rd party libraries so you should have no trouble adding it to your game.

-Josh

I know you meant this for someone else, but I happen to be thinking of a game that will use turrets and I'd like to see your code. Unfortunately, the archive is corrupt. Can you reupload this?

[quote name='jjd' timestamp='1325528721' post='4899026']
Hi,

-Josh

I know you meant this for someone else, but I happen to be thinking of a game that will use turrets and I'd like to see your code. Unfortunately, the archive is corrupt. Can you reupload this?
[/quote]

Hmm, that's unfortunate. Ok, I'll try uploading it again, but here is a URL to the gist in case the tarball gets corrupted again,

git clone git://gist.github.com/1563274.git gist-1563274

-Josh

[edit] unfortunately it looks like the tarball gets corrupted when I upload it. Let me know if you have any trouble getting the gist. Edited by jjd

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!