• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Yazaki

Game for Linux and Windows OSs

This topic is 2538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I would like to create a 3D game with my own built engine for Linux and Windows operating systems. Is it possible to do? If so, what kind of graphic library can support both systems?

Advertisement
The language called Python runs on both Linux and Windows.

But with the application called "Wine" for Linux you can also run C++ games or applications on Linux.

Wine is an application for linux that lets you run Windows applications so you can install games through wine too.
http://www.winehq.org/

Just because the game is written in C++ doesn't mean it needs wine to run. There are plenty of cross-platform libraries that will not only run on windows and Linux but Macs as well.

OpenGL is cross-platform and I'm pretty sure you can use SFML and SDL to handle all the non-graphics stuff and windowing.

I've decided to use SDL 1.3. Sorry, but i've a lot of simple questions. The first one: How to prepare Visual Studio Express 2010 project for using SDL 1.3? I mean, how to add libraries, includes and etc. Second one: how to build game on more than one OS (for Linux and Windows)? I know how to build on Windows, but is it possible to build both in one building process? If so, how then? Thank you.

EDIT: Just found answer to the first question (thank you tutorials).

Second one: how to build game on more than one OS (for Linux and Windows)? I know how to build on Windows, but is it possible to build both in one building process? If so, how then? Thank you.

EDIT: Just found answer to the first question (thank you tutorials).

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

It requires cygwin if you want to build from Windows but you should be able to insert it into your IDE:s build process, Personally i'd recommend going with a cross platform IDE instead and just build the app separatly for each platform, you have to test it on all supported platforms anyway, running a virtual machine is a good idea.

You don't have to use Cygwin. Mingw works too and has the advantage of coming with the Windows distribution of Code::Blocks and being supported by the Lazy Foo tutorials.

You don't have to use Cygwin. Mingw works too and has the advantage of coming with the Windows distribution of Code::Blocks and being supported by the Lazy Foo tutorials.

Mingw only produces Windows binaries which isn't quite what the OP wanted. (He wants to make Linux binaries from Windows)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!