• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LycaonX

Converting level vertex data to -anything- editable

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a game data file with 50+ levels in it, with each level containing 10 to 30 rooms each, for a total of about 1300 rooms.

This level data is for a game that is pretty ancient. I am interested in porting or converting the level data to anything at all that could then be edited with any of today's popular editors, but I haven't really ran across anything yet that I've been able to use.

Part of my problem is I'm not sure what terms I'd be googling for. I know my current data file stores the geometry in plain x,y, z vectors, and the texture offsets of course, but none of the editors, free or commercial, I've come across allow importing of such data, which is dumb to actually expect, so no complaint there.

I am simply looking for an editor that has the ability to import anything that would remotely resemble a list of vector3s, and/or have a very well documented level file format that I could custom write a conversion tool for. Even if it were more of an advanced level format, our level editing guy would save months of work if I were able to get even the basic structures of the rooms into something that was programmed this century, heh. Updating 1300 rooms is a lot less time consuming than recreating them from scratch.

So, that being said, any ideas or directions to something that might fit what I'm looking for? I am fully aware I am dealing with an ancient, stupid level file format, and that what I'm asking is a serious waste of time, but it'd probably end up being less of a waste of time than restarting from scratch. No need to reply just to point out either of those, I already get it.

Advertisement

I am simply looking for an editor that has the ability to import anything that would remotely resemble a list of vector3s, and/or have a very well documented level file format that I could custom write a conversion tool for.
Based on my experience, I would suggest to avoid using a "game editor" in the first place and use a proper DCC tool such as Blender. It is incredible how much mileage an hobbyist can still get out of wavefront's obj. By contrast, most game editors are riddled by game-specific rules and limitations. Most game-specific formats I can recall have little sense to exist outside their intended application.
So my suggestion would be 1. Internal representation 2. Obj 3. Blender 4. Obj out 5. filter to your format.

Thanks for the move, Tom.

And as far as the use of specific editors, that's exactly what I'm interested in moving away from. My problem still rests on a method to export the current data into even a basic form that can be loaded and 'fixed' by Blender or another tool. Even if just the basic level structure and texture coords can be migrated, that'd save months of work. I'm the sole developer on a small team that supports the game and I've already got my hands full with code upgrades and feature implementatation. I don't have spare time to be using Blender to recreate levels from complete scratch :)

I've started poking at the text version of the .X format, from what I've seen it would definitely do what I want, the issue is learning the file format :)

Thanks for the move, Tom.

And as far as the use of specific editors, that's exactly what I'm interested in moving away from. My problem still rests on a method to export the current data into even a basic form that can be loaded and 'fixed' by Blender or another tool. Even if just the basic level structure and texture coords can be migrated, that'd save months of work. I'm the sole developer on a small team that supports the game and I've already got my hands full with code upgrades and feature implementatation. I don't have spare time to be using Blender to recreate levels from complete scratch smile.png

I've started poking at the text version of the .X format, from what I've seen it would definitely do what I want, the issue is learning the file format smile.png

Well if you know the file format, It should be simple-ish to write a parser that convert to .obj or .x files, though which you prefer would depend on what the requirements are for the files your converting from. If no animations are required( and as you mention rooms I'm assuming it's all static level data) then .obj is sufficient, dead easy to learn, and has good support with blender.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!