• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arcand

the fabled gamers underground

7 posts in this topic

so every once in a while you hear something about indie games having a few hubs here and there where you can find lists of games made by the players, for the players, and I was wondering, where might I find such a list?

[quote name='lonewolff' timestamp='1325642613' post='4899459']
I'd be interested in hearing advice on this, all the same [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]
[/quote]

i agree!!

maybe wrong place but definitely right question...

Doing a google search for "indie games" comes up with lots of stuff, namely [url="http://db.tigsource.com/"]http://db.tigsource.com/[/url] and [url="http://indiegames.com/."]http://indiegames.com/.[/url]

Edit: I don't know if that's what you're looking for exactly. "by the players, for the players" doesn't really make any sense to me. Players don't make games; game developers make games. =P

But the best of developers are the players themselves! If a developer develops for the sake of developing their game will be a business grind. If they develop for the sake of creating a game they would love to play, they in most cases will push that extra effort into it to make it fun!

[quote name='bombshell93' timestamp='1325690255' post='4899606']
But the best of developers are the players themselves!
[/quote]I'd have to say I disagree on that particular point; players sometimes have good game ideas, but I don't think they necessarily make particularly good developers. The ideas that a player comes up with often come in the form of something like "a game just like MyFavouriteGame, but with ThisParticularWeapon added to it", where they player has noticed something they would personally like to try out, but may not have considered how it will affect the balance or direction of the game as a whole -- sure, it might be fun to add rockets in to the shooter you've been playing, but unless it occurs to you to re-design several of the maps to compensate you might suddenly have a broken game where rockets allow the players to take out a wall and skip to the end.

Of course, this doesn't apply to [i]all[/i] players, just as your statement about developers pursuing a business grind doesn't apply to [i]all[/i] developers. In my opinion we get the best and most interesting games when a skilled developer creates a game that they truly love [i]and[/i] when they take the potential behaviour of other players in to account and design appropriately.

I'd consider that a naive developer.
In terms of a developers state of mind I would expect;
Not gamer. Naive Developer. wouldn't have much of a push to make games.
Not gamer. Good Developer. Original ideas, with not much influence from gaming. This may or may not lead to visiting elements gamers would not like.
Gamer. Naive Developer. Ideas will be strung to other games, general result will be sloppy messes of game elements.
Gamer. Good Developer. Ideas may or may not be based around other games, but there is room enough for new thought. At least some bad ideas are going to be avoided.

I don't think a good developer must necessarily be a gamer. There are plenty of people that aren't "users" of what they create, but are experts at creating it none the less.

Edit: just to add a bit more, to be "great" at any kind of creative design (game design or any other kind) the critical thing is to be able to think abstractley about what you are trying to achieve, and what will help and hinder that. A solid gaming background could help provide that level of thinking, but it can just as easily hinder it. In any case, ideally a design team would involve people with no experience in games, but with experience in other fields such as cinematography and storytelling. They would bring invaluable insight that gamers might miss.

And just a little anecdote I read: A student pilot of some experience is sent out to do the pre-flight check on the plane he is about to fly. He goes out to the plane, walks around it for a few minutes going through the pre-flight checklist, and returns to the instructor, confidently pronouncing that it is ready to fly. The instructor is incredulous, because the airplane that the student checked is missing a propeller. The student focused on minute details and completely failed to see the obvious. A non-pilot would have likely spotted the missing prop instantly.