• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alberio12

Need advice

This topic is 2532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I always had a passion for games and the way that they are made. So, I wanted to learn to program and create some games. My teachers directed me to learn a programming language and I decided to start on C++. I was wondering what else do I need to learn to be able to create games other than learning a programming language? and if I had questions learning C++ from my book, could I ask them here?

Advertisement
It's always pleasing to hear someone new wants to venture forth into the adventure of game programming. I hope you'll enjoy yourself much like I'm sure everyone has enjoyed their learning experiences.

To answer the question of what else you need: it really depends what the game is calling for. Learning some physics wouldn't hurt. In the end, learning to program will occupy enough of your time that you'll catch up with the other stuff. Good problem solving skills are a must. It may sound cliche, but it is essential. Always try to do everything you can think of to solve your problems before you ask for help. That way will almost guarantee you that what you got bogged down on before will not pose as much problem to you the next time.

If you do have questions, you may feel free to come ask them here. That's largely what the forum is for smile.png

Good luck to you!

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, that C++ probably isn't the best place to start. You might want to check out C#. It's a lot easier and will have you up and running a lot faster than C++. And the bugs aren't as cryptic as C++ :D

I agree with boogyman, although C++ is still the dominant language in game industry, it is sort of professional option and as such it is not a good place to start, especially if you have no programming experience. C# is better in this case because you can immediately start with programs that have a graphical components in them (like windows forms or web app's) - this will enable you to see the effects of your code almost instantaneously. Also, if you are serious about getting into game programming world, sooner or later you will get to the point when you will have to decide between DirctX/OpenGL/XNA.. Since XNA is built on C#, and in my opinion is by far the simplest (but almost as powerful as the others) of the fore mentioned languages/API's, the transfer will be much easier. As for non-programming skills - whenever an analytical approach fails (and it will) try being creative in your solutions - this is a good skill to have in any programming field, not only game development. This is just my opinion, honestly if you ask 50 people you will probably get 40 different answers biggrin.png
If you decide to go with C#, there is plenty of on-line resources/books/tutorials that will help you each step of the way, for beginner questions I would recommend GameDev's "For beginners" and "General programming" forums, and later, when you pass the very basics, the www.c-sharpcorner.com resources/forums (for intermediate and advanced C# questions).
Hope this helps, good luck

Always try to do everything you can think of to solve your problems before you ask for help. That way will almost guarantee you that what you got bogged down on before will not pose as much problem to you the next time.

This is true. When I first started with C++, I used to ask heaps of questions. Now I have gotten to the point where I rarely ask questions as experience has now given me a few avenues to exhaust first.

But as boogyman19964 says, if you run in to any troubles feel free to ask :)

My advice follows in line with the others; the only thing i have to add is once you find a language you plan to learn with be sure to google as much as possible, use stackoverflow.com as much as possible but only after you have tried to find the answer on your own. a good source for intro learning materials are thenewboston on youtube that guy has tutorials for insane amounts of stuff. good luck!

I wouldn't recommend video tutorials, i have seen thenewboston too and he is good but i think reading just stays longer in memory then watching video's. You can also re-read and skip over things more easy when you follow written tutorials. When you want to look back on something it's also a lot easier to find.

I'd say pick C#, google "basic C# tutorials" and start learning, you will soon be making somekind of simple math game yourself. From there you have many options, the fastest would be to get XNA and do some tutorials for it, invest a couple of hours in it and you have animated and controllable sprites flying on your screen.

That's true video tutorials aren't the best way cuz it can be hard to keep up and you don't always know exactly what's going on but for some of us who can't just read some written tutorial for hours and remain motivated it can be a nice breather. They also work well as quick refreshers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!