Best building destruction physics engine?

Started by
0 comments, last by RobTheBloke 12 years, 3 months ago
I'm looking for the best destruction physics for a city game I'm designing. I'm looking to have the walls and windows breakable, but also have the entire building and terrain destroy-able.

I need to be able to knock holes in the walls, and if the supporting walls and pillars are destroyed I want the building to collapse. This type of full building destruction would very rarely happen in the game, but if the supports are knocked out I want it to be realistic. Windows breaking and breaking through a wall with an axe or a car would be more likely.

I'd also like the terrain/ground to be destructible, kinda like [media]http://tinyurl.com/776hu7e[/media] . I'd like concrete to crack, and to blow apart dirt, maybe even spear the dirt with posts. Possibly even knocking down trees?

I've looked at different games like Red Faction's Geomod, Battlefield's Frostbite, and CryEngine's Farcry. Havok, Physx, DMM, and etc all have similar features to one another. Which would be best for my purposes (that I can actually use unlike Geo-mod or Frostbite)? Thanks in advance
Advertisement

I've looked at different games like Red Faction's Geomod, Battlefield's Frostbite, and CryEngine's Farcry. Havok, Physx, DMM, and etc all have similar features to one another. Which would be best for my purposes (that I can actually use unlike Geo-mod or Frostbite)? Thanks in advance

DMM is the part you should be looking at (it's the thing that explodes matter within games). AFAIK, it's not free though. Other physics engines will support particles, so if you go down that route, you'd be substituting some geometry for a shattered version, and then throw the data at the physics engine. I'm not aware of another engine like DMM though....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement