• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

CEGUI alternatives

This topic is 2522 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know of any good API's that have a editor that one can drag drop the widgets to make layout ect... and be used with OpenGL/SFML/C++?

Thanks!

Advertisement
You could use QT aswell as it can embed its widgets in an OpenGL view and does have a layout editor. (I'm not sure how easy it is to modify the look of the widgets though)

Or, if you are willing to spend some money you could use scaleform to embed flash GUIs in your game (Something alot of AAA games do these days)

I've been down this road a few times, and of all the toolkits I've tried (which is quite a number), CEGUI is the only one that offers decent flexibility/configurability. That said, I really detest the way CEGUI is designed - it feels like setting an 800lb Gorilla to catch a fly...

Yeah, I keep hearing that most people think CEGUI is bloated...

My problem is the layout editor is buggy, and the new version CEED is not finised yet and has bugs as it's not a release product.

The second issue is they moved to Mercury for SVN and I have no idea on using that system yet, and would like to get on 0.8.0 binaries and don't want to have to build them myself.... Sigh heahaches starting again

swiftcoder: Make yourself heard! It's open source, things can be changed if you care :-)

MARS_999: It shouldn't be hard to get a clone with mercurial, there are instructions on the wiki. If you are on Windows, TortoiseHG makes it really easy to make a clone. HTH

--
Kulik from the CEGUI team

You can take a look at Gwen. It's pretty light weight and easy to get running (imo).

It's a pretty young project so not everything is polished yet, but still sufficiently for most usages.

You can also replace their renderer with your own, which is a nice feature to me.

Ps: Since most GUI libs appear to have similar interfaces, it's not that hard to switch to another if you're not happy with one.

Edit: Disregard this if a WSIWYG editor is required. Although it wouldn't be too absurd to implement one with the GUI-Lib itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!