• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Hill

Complete Beginner - Looking For Advice

This topic is 2540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I've looked around a bit on these forums and on Google and I just can't seem to find an answer to my questions. So, I decided to post this.

I am totally new to programming (no experience at all with any programming language) and I'm looking for a language that is right for someone who is an absolute beginner to programming. I have some experience with web design languages such as HTML, CSS, and Javascript, but I didn't think that would matter when it comes to video game programming.

All I'm asking for is someone to tell me a programming language that doesn't necessarily have to be centered around gaming (just something that will teach me the basics of programming), and is beginner-friendly. Also, once I learn that language (since it doesn't have to be used for gaming in particular), I'd like to know what language to move on to specifically for game programming.

Thanks,

-Gavin

Advertisement

Hello,

I've looked around a bit on these forums and on Google and I just can't seem to find an answer to my questions. So, I decided to post this.

I am totally new to programming (no experience at all with any programming language) and I'm looking for a language that is right for someone who is an absolute beginner to programming. I have some experience with web design languages such as HTML, CSS, and Javascript, but I didn't think that would matter when it comes to video game programming.

All I'm asking for is someone to tell me a programming language that doesn't necessarily have to be centered around gaming (just something that will teach me the basics of programming), and is beginner-friendly. Also, once I learn that language (since it doesn't have to be used for gaming in particular), I'd like to know what language to move on to specifically for game programming.

Thanks,

-Gavin

Pretty much any general purpose programming language should work (Games are just like any other application really), C# is commonly recommended and is suitable for most projects (including games).

I've looked around a bit on these forums and on Google and I just can't seem to find an answer to my questions.

There's one of these posts made in this exact forum pretty much every day. Often more than one. Being able to research effectively is a key skill.

[/quote]

Javascript will provide some basics. The common recommendation by this community for beginners is C# or Python. Each can adjust towards games later and are beginner friendly.

It doesn't really matter which language you pick, as long as you work through whatever learning materials are available and stick with it when the going gets tough. Far more important than your choice of language is developing good problem solving skills, clear and effective communication skills (both for explaining yourself and getting help from others, and when translating the ideas in your head to code that does what needs to be done and can be clearly understood by yourself and others), and learning where and how to quickly research solutions to problems as they arise.

Like the others above, I would recommend C# or Python.

Don't suffer from "decision paralysis" and spend forever on your choice of language; just pick one and go with it!

Hope that helps! smile.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!