• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MantisTobaganMD

Improved Collision Detection paper question

This topic is 2531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been studying the "paper" Improved Collision Detection and Response http://www.peroxide....n/collision.pdf

This algorithm does collision checks between a bounding sphere and a triangle soup.
When checking for a collision, the paper enumerates the three following conditions that must be checked:

The sphere can collide with the inside of the triangle.
The sphere can collide against one of the three vertices of the triangle.
The sphere can collide against one of the three edges of the triangle.

I'm struggling to understand the meaning of the second two. Why is there a distinction between the "inside" of the triangle and its vertices and edges. Mathematically speaking, this doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the "inside" of the triangle should include the vertices and edges That is to say, if you don't intersect with the "inside" of the triangle, why check if you intersect a vertex or edge?

If anyone is familiar with this paper or has any insight into this question, it would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Because the 3 conditions are resolved differently.

Q: If a ball is intersecting a point (vertex) on the triangle, which way do you push the ball to get it off the triangle?
A: Away from the point.

Q: If the ball is intersecting an edge of the triangle, which way do you push the ball to get it off the triangle?
A: In the direction of the edge normal.

Q: If the ball is inside the triangle, not touching an edge or point, which way do you push the ball to get it off the triangle?
A: Away from the center point of the triangle.

Your thinking is entirely backwards. The inside is not the full description of the triangle, it is the last-ditch exception case that should only be considered if the other 2 fail.
The other 2 are the important ones. In a robust algorithm, a ball will not be able to enter a triangle.
But there are conditions, especially with instant-impulse physics engines, in which a ball may be able to pass through an edge or point, into the insides of the triangle.

There is no best-case solution for this error, since such a thing does not happen in the real world. In the real world, balls bounce off the edges and corners of triangles.
That is why the last 2 cases should be making more sense to you than the first.

L. Spiro

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!