• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
discodowney

C++ Remove - deleting a file

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to delete a file but its not really working.
I check if a file exists first, then if it does it should be deleted.

FILE *pfile;
pfile = fopen(fileName.c_str(), "w");
if(pfile != NULL)
{
if(remove(fileName.c_str()) != 0)
("Deletion Successful\n")
else
("Deletion Unsuccessful\n")
}
fclose(pfile);

The problem is that the remove function only seems to be removing the contents of the file and not deleteing it. From the name of the function that might sound reasonable i guess, but according to http://www.cplusplus.../cstdio/remove/ it deletes the file not just removes the contents. So after i call this the file still exists in the same directory it is just empty

Advertisement
Streams usually operate with buffers. When you are writing to the file you are actually storing the data in a buffer, when it fills up or a certain amount of time has elapsed the buffer is "flushed" - actually written out to the disk. (As a side note this is why when you use streams for logging and such, in a program crash all of the data in the buffer might not get written out, and so your file ends before the program actually terminated).

In effect, what you are doing is:

creating an empty file, overwriting existing file (creates a stream)
deleting that file
closing the empty file (which flushes and closes the stream, writing the file out again)

You can move the fclose() above the remove()

FILE *pfile;
pfile = fopen(fileName.c_str(), "w");
if(pfile != NULL)
{
fclose(pfile);

if(remove(fileName.c_str()) != 0)
("Deletion Successful\n")
else
("Deletion Unsuccessful\n")
}
// don't need to close file here because pfile is NULL
// fclose()'ing here would actually be undefined behavior

When you open a file to write, it clears it. Then you try to delete it. According to the link you gave, remove() returns 0 on success. So your condition is wrong. Remove might not work because on some runtimes/operating systems, the file is "locked" while it is open.

Why even check if the file exists? Let the remove() function do that too!

Consider the following instead:

if(remove(fileName.c_str()) == 0) {
output("Deletion successful\n");
} else {
output("Deletion unsuccessful\n");
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!