Studio Recorded - But Not Studio Sounded

Started by
4 comments, last by secretcrowd 12 years, 3 months ago
To cut things short, I recorded this song end of 2010. Made a simple video music that goes with it (real time 3d animation / machinima). Still looking for a place to upload though (youtube/vimeo is the last option). Anyway, things happens in life and I got busy, and in the end of the day, instead of aim, aim, aim, aim and never shoot, i decided to shoot, learn from it, and move on.

http://www.fablefox.com
http://fablefox.com/blog/?p=23

http://www.fablefoxisstronger.com
http://fablefox.com/strong/?p=222

You could just click the play preview to listen to it. Now here is a problem: The vocal is studio recorded, but it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a studio. And I'm not English/American, so sorry if I sound like Jackie Chan, Jet Li or something. I'm not interested to use autotune yet (don't have the cash anyway, and prefer my vocal to be natural) but is there away to make it, you know, sound like it being recorded in a studio.

I mean, it's like that horse sound. people cannot accept the real horse running sound, they stick with the coconut shell thingy (or was it something else?). So even though this is a studio recording, it, sound, empty? What plug ins should I run? Is there any good tips?

To help you, I use Sony Acid Pro 7.0 (yes, I know, I haven't upgrade it yet). So if you know anything, please help. I already wrote my second lyric (and already have the idea for the video music). And I wish my second song sound like it was recorded in a studio (strange, I know, considering my vocal *is* studio recorded). Thanks.

I don't really care how much this would generate, but if enough for me to buy FretLight and Fruity Loop Producer (free upgrades!) that would be great. And maybe some extra buck to record my next song (need to pay studio rental).
Advertisement
Hello,

First and foremost you'll have to work on your singing technique. I would recommend taking some singing lessons, preferably with a teacher who's a native English speaker if this is your language of choice. You will not be able to make a bad recording sound brilliant just by mixing.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I fear not even Autotune will help make your recording sound good because your timing/phrasing is off.

Singing into a microphone takes a lot of practice, so can you record your vocals yourself?
Mic's and interfaces with pre-amps are pretty cheap nowadays, with as little as 200-300 bucks you could have your own little vocal studio if you own a computer. This money will pay off quickly as you will gain more experience and won't have to pay studio owners to record your vocals. (which can be pretty pricey)
Also, you should at least buy a decent pair of closed headphones, mixing well on little multimedia or - god forbid - laptop speakers is nearly impossible.

As for mixing vocals, read up on using compressors and EQ and try to fit the vocals into the instrumental mix - later you can add a touch of reverb as well.
This topic is huge, though - if you have any specific questions or encounter problems, ask away.

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

I rented the studio because I really need a good microphone, and a diagraph (?) that remove the 'pop' sound, breathing, and silent room (my apartment is near a road, so bad idea for serious recording), and all. I will try to improve my singing. Still, even if I were to sing natively (or at least asian like language, like India's Jai Ho) it still sound, well, strange. I do have DM 4.0S microphone, that went through Line 6 UX1.

Do you have any book to recommends on this issue vocal processing, among others? I do have singing for dummies (need to revisit that book. it's been a year). As for the compressong / reverb thing, I'll give it a try and see what Acid Pro 7 can come up with.

Thanks!

I rented the studio because I really need a good microphone, and a diagraph (?) that remove the 'pop' sound, breathing, and silent room (my apartment is near a road, so bad idea for serious recording), and all.

You'll be amazed what you can get out of your gear if you learn to work with it. Noise should not be a problem either (as long as your neighbours don't mind). I live directly next to the underground tracks at the moment and record a lot of vocal tracks at home with an inexpensive microphone. Also, your DM 4.0S is a dynamic live mic - it doesn't need a pop filter, there should be a layer of foam inside under the metal grid.

I will try to improve my singing. Still, even if I were to sing natively (or at least asian like language, like India's Jai Ho) it still sound, well, strange. I do have DM 4.0S microphone, that went through Line 6 UX1.[/quote]
Owned a UX2 for some years - the Gearbox software has some nice emulations, and the preamps themselves are decent.

Do you have any book to recommends on this issue vocal processing, among others? I do have singing for dummies (need to revisit that book. it's been a year).[/quote]
Sorry, no specific recommendations.
"Singing for Dummies", well - do yourself a favor and get some lessons by a studied professional. In my teaching experience, everyone has his or her own bad habits that keep him or her from being a good singer: that is, limit- and effortlessly producing any sound in any pitch they want to produce.
And there are so many things you can do wrong if you're just following a book, much more so than with any other instrument. Worst case: you wreck your vocal folds. A good teacher will see and hear your problems, give you appropriate exercises and also teach you a thing or two about general musicality.

Good luck,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Oh, thank god this topic wasn't destroyed in the GD meltdown. I decided to buy Computer Music January 2012. It cover a topic on mastering.

Thanks for the tips!
Hey FableFox,

Moritz is very right, going on that recording you have up, you'd be better off spending a few pounds/dollars on a setup for your home that way you can record and learn in your own time.

You could get a nice M-Audio interface and a good large diaphragm condenser for $300, you even get Pro Tools software with the interface. Links below are some ideas of gear for you...

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=324549649846448
http://www.seelectronics.com/se2200a-mic

Autotune is a friend if it's used correctly, it can even add naturalness to vocals if used correctly and I always EQ before compressing on vocals as well as using reverb and delay.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement