• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_necrophilissimo_

The final word on stencil buffer and FBOs

This topic is 2535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading from all sorts of Internet articles about trying to get stencil buffer to work within Frame Buffer Objects and what I've encountered is a massive amount of conflicting information. Some articles say it doesn't work, others say it does but requires the use of Depth Buffer as well - and a couple mention potential hacks using multiple FBOs. So, what exactly is the case with Stencil Buffers and FBOs?

What I really need is an FBO with just color and stencil buffers - adding a depth buffer I do not use results a serious framerate dip. Is there a special multi-FBO work-around to do this or this a lost cause?

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
I don't think that any GPU support a color buffer and stencil buffer. Mots GPUs support the D24S8 format (Depth = 24 bit + stencil = 8 bit ==== total 32 bit)
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Framebuffer_Object_Examples#Stencil

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!