• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aluthreney

Looking for people who want to learn game development

This topic is 2537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font=Ubuntu]I've recently come up with an idea. This idea, for those who decide to participate(If I go through with it), will be an educational experience. My idea is to gather a team of[/font]
[font=Ubuntu]wanna-be game developers (Like myself) and create a 3D game. This might seem like a far fetched idea, but the objective of this project isn't to create an awesome product (In fact, I'm not expecting it to be good at all tongue.png); instead, I want to use this as an opportunity for the people participating in the project to learn something about what game development is and how to work with a team.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]Now there are two things I want to be made clear before someone starts criticizing. First thing is that I'm not pretending to be an expert (This will be an educational experience for me as well). Second thing is that I understand that this might not be the BEST project for education on teamwork since the only communication is through the Internet and it wont even be all the time, but it's a start...[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]Now I want to talk about who I'm looking for and who I'm not looking for:[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]Who I'm NOT looking for:[/font]

• [font=Ubuntu]Dis-motivated people.[/font]
  • [font=Ubuntu]People who think this is their big chance at gaining fame and/or fortune with this project.[/font]
  • [font=Ubuntu]People who can't respect other people and their work.[/font]
  • [font=Ubuntu]People who can't follow all of the other basic behaviors a normal human being should have.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]Who I AM looking for:[/font]

• [font=Ubuntu]Motivated people (duh...).[/font]
    • [font=Ubuntu]People who are interested in learning new things.[/font]
    • [font=Ubuntu]People who have a basic skill at whatever it is they do (art, writing, programming, etc).[/font]
    • [font=Ubuntu](Honestly I can't think of anything else really, but from the previous list I'm sure you can figure out if your whom I'm looking for)[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]I'd like to mention now that, if it wasn't obvious before, I'm not only looking for programmers. I'm looking for:[/font]

• [font=Ubuntu]Programmers (This is to say, any kind of programmer: script, AI, graphics, etc)[/font]
      • [font=Ubuntu]Artists(Concept)/3D Artists[/font]
      • [font=Ubuntu]Story Writers[/font]
      • [font=Ubuntu]Composer (Sound)[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]I understand that those who participate have other priorities such as school or work. That's why communication will be limited to only a few times per week (Of course I'm still planning things so don't take everything that's written here as concrete ).[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]Finally I would like to answer the most important question. Why?[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]The reason I thought of this project is simple. Working in a team is much more productive than working alone. When were working alone the only thing that keeps us motivated is our self-esteem, but if our learning progress starts slowing down we lose self-esteem and, in turn, our progress slows even more. However, if we work in a team, our teammate will cheer us on even if we start slowing down.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]One last thing I want to be made clear. If you decide you want to participate keep in mind [/font]
        [font=Ubuntu]that this IS NOT a paying project the objective of this is (again) purely educational.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]For now that's basically it. I would really appreciate some feedback on this idea and I would appreciate questions even more. I hope to have some responses soon. If I get enough feedback I'll continue with my idea. If not, I'll just end here.[/font]

[font=Ubuntu]P.S. I apologize if the "Beginners" section is the wrong place to post this[/font].

Advertisement
Sounds very interesting, i would definently want to try something out. Im kinda new user on this forum, but i guess it doesn't matter.
I personally have big motivation against programming and games. I just need a group to get started, so i would be very thankful, if i would get invite.

I know some computure languages like c++ and python.
Im also skilled at creating all kinds of music. ( 3 years now )
Im very social and always help peaople.

So this would be great project to be started.

Peace!

-- Fr3ak --

Sounds very interesting, i would definently want to try something out. Im kinda new user on this forum, but i guess it doesn't matter.
I personally have big motivation against programming and games. I just need a group to get started, so i would be very thankful, if i would get invite.

I know some computure languages like c++ and python.
Im also skilled at creating all kinds of music. ( 3 years now )
Im very social and always help peaople.

So this would be great project to be started.

Peace!

-- Fr3ak --

Great! I'd love to have you participate in the project. But like I said before, I'm only going to go through with it if there are enough people participating. If you want, can you send me some of your work (programming or sound) to this e-mail: gamedevproject@hotmail.com

This type of discussion is not appropriate for the For Beginners forum. This site's policy is that this type of discussion belongs in the area formerly called Help Wanted -- now called Classifieds.

This topic is closed. It might also be moved or removed from view.

This topic is 2537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.